PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New member from Burley area

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
subeng

Bike : 2006 Suzuki DRZ400S

New member from Burley area Empty
PostSubject: New member from Burley area   New member from Burley area Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 8:30 pm

Burly if you don't know is between Port Orchard and Gig Harbor.

I just picked up a 2006 DRZ400S to commute with. Really have the motard bug so it will probably be veering the way of the tarder in a while. So far have torn it down and done all the loctite fixes and adjusted the valves, free power mod, 14T front sprocket, tusk hand guards and large spoilers, and have a JD jet kit and extended pilot adjuster on the way (3x3 mod soon to come). Haven't had a dual sport since the mid eighties and I forgot how fun they are to ride. Also have a '79 XS 650 that has been slowly becoming a street tracker, by slow I mean it was down to bare frame back in the winter of 2004 and it still isn't close to done.

I started riding in 1977 on a YZ80 and have been through a few bikes since then. The RZ350 I bought back in '86, a left over '84 still in the crate, after being equipped with Toomey and Boyesen parts, was the most fun ever. Anyway, hopefully the weather will warm up and I can get in on some fun rides in the near future.

Last edited by subeng on 3/22/2011, 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cool1442

cool1442

Bike : KTM 950 SE

PostSubject: Re: New member from Burley area   New member from Burley area Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 6:49 am

Welcome. I used to have a XS650 also, wish I still did. Ive done the mods on a DRZ before. I used a big holesaw to open up the air box top, takes 10 careful seconds. Be careful to leave the the mounts for the ignition box intact. Also when you drill out the plug where the air screw goes, be SUUUUUPER careful to drill straight and DO NOT touch the threads on the side of the hole. The threads in the carb body under that plug are very shallow and so soft that any contact with the drill bit will make the threads disappear in a nano-second. The carb is in such a small place, its a bitch to remove. Loosen the sub frame bolts and remove the top bolt and have a helper pull back and down on the subframe to get the carb out. Take some time and put duct tape on the frame around the carb to keep from scratching the paint all to hell when you wiggle the carb out. Take careful note (pictures) of how the throttle cables look before you remove them. They are a bitch to get back in the same postion. Ive seen three that the cable ends (balls) were installed crooked from the factory. Good luck, you will be fine if you work carefully. 400s are great bikes.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: New member from Burley area   New member from Burley area Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 9:11 am

welcome
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: New member from Burley area   New member from Burley area Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 2:54 pm

Welcome, HI!

*i already said that, but it's gone. scratch
Back to top Go down
subeng

Bike : 2006 Suzuki DRZ400S

PostSubject: Re: New member from Burley area   New member from Burley area Icon_minitime3/1/2011, 8:47 pm

cool1442, thanks for the advice, I just got the box in the mail yesterday with the jet kit and extended pilot adjuster. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Anybody need a set of float bowl allen screws? I had ordered a seperate set not knowing that the JD jetting kit came with a set of its own Sad
Back to top Go down
cool1442

cool1442

Bike : KTM 950 SE

PostSubject: Re: New member from Burley area   New member from Burley area Icon_minitime3/1/2011, 9:40 pm

Sub,

You are welcome.. work slow and follow every direction.. the DRZ I worked on had the air screw hole's threads stripped by the shop who supposedly jetted it. The didnt use the right jets, lost the little teeny Oring, all of the clamps that hold the carb and airboot were loose or missing. The biggest clamp was INSIDE the airbox rattleing around.. they just jammed the air jet into the hole and plugged it there with a big assed blob of silicone! Good luck, they are great bikes
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: New member from Burley area   New member from Burley area Icon_minitime3/2/2011, 1:11 pm

subeng wrote:
cool1442, thanks for the advice, I just got the box in the mail yesterday with the jet kit and extended pilot adjuster. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Anybody need a set of float bowl allen screws? I had ordered a seperate set not knowing that the JD jetting kit came with a set of its own Sad

Maybe. The DR 650 has the same carb i think. i got the bowl off mine just fine but wouldnt be against putting alen bolts in there. I did the airbox mod, Q4 muffler, dj kit, (might be a touch rich with 160 main) and drilled the second hole in the slide. big improvment on power and throtle responce. not so much on gas mileage. but i would never go back to stock. ( thats why they make bigger gas tanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member from Burley area   New member from Burley area Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member from Burley area
Page 1 of 1