PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need a coupe bikes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bthomas

Bike : None yet

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/21/2011, 9:22 am

If anybody finds a ktm exc 505,530 2009 or newer give me a shout, the harder question is my wife wants a bike, she rides a raptor 250 at the dunes but after seeing our ride this week would like a bike to ride. So my question is what bike would you recommend for a novice rider, reliable not too torque, stable. She is about 5'5" so seat height might be a worry since she is not heavy enough to compress the shocks all that much to get both feet down.
Look forward to any help. thumb
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/21/2011, 9:38 am

bthomas wrote:
If anybody finds a ktm exc 505,530 2009 or newer give me a shout, the harder question is my wife wants a bike, she rides a raptor 250 at the dunes but after seeing our ride this week would like a bike to ride. So my question is what bike would you recommend for a novice rider, reliable not too torque, stable. She is about 5'5" so seat height might be a worry since she is not heavy enough to compress the shocks all that much to get both feet down.
Look forward to any help. thumb

Couple questions...are you wanting a plated KTM? I would recommend the 530 over the 505. You can get the EXC which comes factory plated or the XCW and convert it to Dual Sport. After owning a plated bike I won't ever own a non-plated bike again, having the plate opens up sooooo many areas to ride.

Second are you going to want your wifes bike plated? I would recommend it also even if she doesn't plan on riding the street, even at Harris you can pop onto the gravel roads at the top and run into Tollgate for fuel and food....nice to have the option. A lot of trails require you to pop onto a gravel road to connect trails and most of the gravel roads require a plate to be legal.

The Yamaha XT225 would be a good choice, TW200 is a great bike but lacks in the suspension department for very fast trail use, the Honda CRF230L would be a great choice also. They are all low seat height and have a plate on the back.

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
bthomas

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/21/2011, 10:40 am

Need to plate both, so I will stay away from the 505.
My wife is not a speed demon so I was leaning toward a bike with a engine smaller that 200cc, but I may have a problem plateing something that small. My wife weighs less than 120 so I also didn't think she could get both feet down on anything bigger. But you guys know mor about that than I do.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/21/2011, 10:48 am

bthomas wrote:
Need to plate both, so I will stay away from the 505.
My wife is not a speed demon so I was leaning toward a bike with a engine smaller that 200cc, but I may have a problem plateing something that small. My wife weighs less than 120 so I also didn't think she could get both feet down on anything bigger. But you guys know mor about that than I do.
Thanks

We have a TW200 that she's welcome to try on for size and see how it fits. Also after the first of the year you will be able to plate dirt bikes again in WA if they meet the standards....allowing you to take a smaller bike like a Yamaha TTR125 and install a Dual Sport kit on it so that might be an option as well.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/21/2011, 11:07 am

There hard to find but I got my wife a GasGas pampera and she loves it other than having to kick start it. After January you can look at converting bikes like the TTR125, CRF150 that has e start and low seat height. They already have a battery so the dual-sport kit should be easy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
bthomas

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/21/2011, 11:17 am

Found a tw200 in Benton city on craigslist it does not look too tall. I may run over there to look at it. 2500 miles, wants 2500 for it, it's a 2006.
Back to top Go down
bthomas

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/21/2011, 11:25 am

Or just get a ttr125 and put a kit on it in January.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/21/2011, 2:16 pm

Happens to be a thread going on over at ADVrider about this very subject...lots of great info there. Here's the link: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/22/2011, 4:16 am

Need a coupe bikes Img_1727 First it is great that your wife wants to be involved. My wife likes to ride but only enjoys fairly tame riding logging roads, easy single track ect. I had the exact same problem you have now as my wife can not touch the ground on almost any dual sport bike.

I settled on a Honda NX125 Low seat height and push button start. Even with this bike see wears Raised heal riding boots to sit flat footed. I was worried that it would not have enough power but have never had a problem so far. I will say it would not work in the sand at all. If you need more power the XT225 would be the best bet in my book. If she is willing to ride tougher single track your only option would be a plated dirt bike.

Above is a picture of us this summer.
Back to top Go down
bthomas

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/22/2011, 5:57 am

Thanks for all the information, I'll post when I finally get something.
Back to top Go down
Dayne Waldkirch

Dayne Waldkirch

Bike : 09 klr 650

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime10/22/2011, 7:22 pm

my wife has a suzuki dr 200 first bike and she loves it she she is 5' 6" and can touch yhe ground with both feet. and it looks good , electric start, and plated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need a coupe bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a coupe bikes   Need a coupe bikes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need a coupe bikes
Page 1 of 1