PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State

Go down 
+19
C Denny Run*
Murray211
Fast_Ed
KTMarty
pjturbo
tallguy
Backwoods Boogie
Enduroguy
Shane
griz901
oliver1950
reid
Inspector
1clickhigh
n16ht5
oring212
PeteN95
YamWOW!
Inconceivable
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Empty
PostSubject: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 5:55 pm

Hello
This question is always coming up in other threads and I was hoping to start a thread that is easy to find and answers the most often repeated questions.

I do not know the answers and need help from people who actually have plated dirt bikes.

Let me start off with I have to have a plated bike. I really like the KTM530 but the price has given me real heart burn Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 735151 . I really like the Honda CFR450 due to lower cost on the used market and parts availablity.

So please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of the following rules is as follows.

1. You can not buy a unplated dirtbike in Washington State and make it Plated. PERIOD

2. You can buy a Plated dirtbike that was plated in another State I.E. Idaho, Montanna ect.. (has to be plated for 1 year in that State) and Washington will issue you a Plate.

3. You can by a Washington Plated dirtbike (done previously by another owner in Washington) and keep the plate.

I have heard but am unable to confirm that Washington State is now Revoking Plated dirtbikes when they are sold to new owners and they try to change the title! Does anyone have any facts about this?

Thanks for any help and not beating a.....')" class="postlink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 919644
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 6:16 pm

Well I guess a 530EXC-R is it. Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 84165 Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 811920
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 12:23 pm

1. Not exactly, you can not plate a dirt bike that has ever been registered in WA as an ORV. If you bought a bike in WA that was never registered in WA, it could be done by plating in another state first. Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 5543

2. Yes, but does not need to be plated for a year.

3. Yes.
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 3:58 am

PeteN95 wrote:
1. Not exactly, you can not plate a dirt bike that has ever been registered in WA as an ORV. If you bought a bike in WA that was never registered in WA, it could be done by plating in another state first. Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 5543

2. Yes, but does not need to be plated for a year.

3. Yes.

Thanks for the corrections.

I am going to contact the DMV about the revoking issue. I do not know of anyone having one revoked at this time, but evey where I go people are saying it is going to happen. We shall see if I can get to the bottom of this issue Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 485621 .
Back to top Go down
oring212

oring212

Bike : 2011 ktm 450 exc

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 9:17 am

Hope fully they don't start pulling plates , that would screw me!. I've had mine plated in Wa for 1 1/2 years. bought it from a guy in oregon who bought it brand new in oregon were the titles say Cyl . the title for this bike never said off road use only in Or or Wa so hopefully they wont mess with me.
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

PostSubject: Doh........................   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 4:42 pm

Well it never fails baldy you can never get a straight answer out of anyone. I e-mailed Washington State DOL and Snohomish County DOL so I could have a hard copy response (I have found phone conversations are worthless when something goes wrong).

First is the e-mail chain to Washington State DOL and the response.

Good afternoon Joseph,

You can tell if a bike is street legal by looking at the VIN number. If the eighth character from the left is a zero, then it can be registered as street legal. If it is not a zero, then it can only be registered as a dirt bike.

Thank you,

Mike

Customer Service Center

Department of Licensing

(360)902-3770 Option 5

Doing your part in keeping “Washington Green!” Sign up for email renewal notification.

Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:51 PM
To: DOL INT Titles
Subject: Question about purchasing licensed dirt bike.

Hello I have not had a response yet.

Second Request.

----- Original Message -----

To: titles@dol.wa.gov

Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:04 AM

Subject: Question about purchasing licensed dirt bike.

Hello

I am interested in purchasing a Dirt Bike that has been converted to street legal configuration and has a Washington State license plate. The bike is a Honda CRF450X. I have been told by other people that Washington State is revoking the license plate when these converted dirt bikes are sold to new owners.

I have to have a street legal bike to drive on the Forest Service roads to get to the trails that I ride. I want to make sure that there will not be any problems changing the Title and continuing to get tabs down the road ; ) .

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Joseph

.....................................................................................

I sent the same e-mail to Snohomish County DOL and here is there response

Mr. Joseph

Good morning,

Do you have the VIN for this bike? Or the Washington plate number? I would like to be able to look up the record so I can answer your question.

Thanks

Renee

Licensing Examiner II

............................................................................................

So this is what I have learned so far. NOTHING :Slaphead:

It took two weeks for a reply from Washington State which does not answer any of my questions. I already told him it was Plated.

Snohomish County only took two days to reply but requires a VIN number to discuss the issue. (The CRF450X I was looking at has already sold).

When I find another bike I wll e-mail the VIN and see what they have to say.

Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 10:33 pm

Bummer. I've had good luck so far... just got another XR250R a 2001, no problem with the title and getting new tabs. (Shrug)
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime8/31/2010, 6:55 pm

Well I have not actually seen the letter but when I was in Bellingham today at the KTM dealer he told me that the DOL sent him a letter that the plate was going to be revoked. The best way to see if there is going to be a problem is the VIN on the bike. If the 8th spot is a 0 it can be plated. If any thing else you are out of luck. baldy

Does any one have a copy of the letter they can post?

Am interesting note is the 530 xc-w does have the 8th spot the 0. Even though it is a dirt bike you can put the required equipment on and plate it hmmmmmm.

Back to top Go down
oring212

oring212

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime8/31/2010, 9:03 pm

I would just buy one thats already plated in oregon or idaho., theres usually quit a few out thereI wouldn't bother with WA DOL .Of course they're going to say no to plating a nonplated bike that says offroad use only. THis is Wa were talking about.
Back to top Go down
1clickhigh

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 9:20 am

Quote :
I would just buy one thats already plated in oregon or idaho.,

I got denied by WA DOL on a plated Husqvarna from OR. My fathers TC450 in fact.
Just because it has a plate does not mean WA will issue another one, sorry.

Any WA KTM owners recieve a revoke plate notice in the mail this week?

Word on the street is letters went out last week for KTM 2 stokes and non-EXC model 4 strokes are next on thier list.
8th letter in the VIN or something is what they're basing pass-fail on plates I guess.

As along time KTM rider and Seattle resident I've always known it might happen someday but still hate to hear it.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 11:07 am

Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 990498510_5a8To-XL

Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 990498529_nd68Y-XL

Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State 990498559_FxTHC-XL
Back to top Go down
oring212

oring212

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 11:50 am

did you get that letter in the mail Inspector?
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 2:14 pm

No, posted by a friend. Not sure if he got it from ADV or where.
Back to top Go down
oring212

oring212

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 2:56 pm

i'm screwed!
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 6:50 pm

Thanks Inspector for posting the letter.

I almost bought a plated CRF450R the other day. Glad I took my time.

Of all the things the State should be fixing this is the one issue that they have a problem with Gahhh Its unreal. When I was over in Idaho guys were driving down the street on ATV's with no mirrors or turn signals. Everyone was using common sense and it was no big deal.

anyway

Anyone have a low milage KTM 530 or 525 EXC 2007 or newer for sale? Drop me a PM.
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 5:31 pm

Inconceivable wrote:
The best way to see if there is going to be a problem is the VIN on the bike. If the 8th spot is a 0 it can be plated.

Am interesting note is the 530 xc-w does have the 8th spot the 0. Even though it is a dirt bike you can put the required equipment on and plate it hmmmmmm.

Well I have to correct myself. I called the Washing State DOL today and spent 35 minutes on hold because I came across a 2007 TE610 Husqvarna and wanted to make sure the VIN was ok with the state. It seems the DOL can not tell if a bike is street legal from there records. The 8th spot being a 0 may only apply to KTM. You now have to call the Washington State Patrol Equipment division 360-596-4017 and they will determine if the bike will stay plated. Of course when you call that number they are not taking calls at this time please leave a message. Which I did, and will post any more info I find out about this subject. baldy
Back to top Go down
reid

reid

Bike : 2005 ATK450en (Cannondale)

PostSubject: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State    Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/6/2010, 2:41 pm

Can we start a letter writing campaign and get this law changed? Besides the DOL who should we contact that will be on our side? I just got back from a trip to oregon. ATVs were all over the non paved forrest service roads and on all of the gravel roads in the small towns. cops didnt bother anyone. If you wanted to ride it on the pavement a trip to the DMV to get a plate was in order. Why do the government officials in Washington state have to be such jackasses?
Back to top Go down
oliver1950

Bike : 650L K TM 300XCW

PostSubject: Off road bikes cannot be licensed in washington.   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 7:26 am

I just saw apost on craigs list from the d.o.t. they have stated that all off road bikes that have been converted to on road use will be illegal no matter what. Even if the bike was licensed out of state it will be illegal. Check this web page it has all the details. licenseingexpress.wordpress.com/offroad-motorcycle-qa/ If your bike has been converted the state now says it is illegal.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 8:16 am

:Slaphead:

Straight from the horses mouth. Check the discussions link at the bottom of the page too...

Sorry guys - Washington is a big state, hope none of you are one of the 800 affected.

WA State Licensing News

Don't forget sometimes its easier to say "I'm sorry" than to "ask permission." Do you really think they are going to initiate a state wide recall to inspect or review all motorcycles? Your own state has had DOL layoffs and office shutdowns after Labor Day. Its just not feasible for them to start such a large project unless there are other revenues to offset the cost.

I say ride smart, ride safe, set a good example and don't worry about it unless law enforcement or your DOL double punches your man cards...

(Easy for me to say all this, now.... But things change and soon I may be in the same boat....)

Good luck

griz
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 9:13 am

we should have a beatdown on that deuche bag. just an fyi, Ive seen bikes that were once WA state ORV tabbed,then plated and still have plates... it might be more of the recent year bikes they look at.

thumpertalk is having a big talk on an attorney suit
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 7:58 pm

i have heard that it will be 2006 and newer machines. that is just through the grape vine so it may not be true. scratch
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/13/2010, 1:18 am

State Patrol Equipment called me back about the TE610 . The lady I talked with could not determine if the bike would be ok. At this point to make sure there would be no problems I would need to get a letter from the manufacture stating it was street legal.

It appears to me Washington State should have figured out this information from all manufatures before creating this problem. puke1

I have solved my problem. I picked up a 2010 KTM 530 EXC cheers ( a expensive fix for the problem I might add)
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/13/2010, 8:57 am

Congrats on the 530exc. I have a 08 and love the bike, well love it now after upgrades.. Fan, stater, battery, rear fender and blinkers, large tank, smog block off kit, jetting, springs, scotts, rekluse pro, left hand rear brake, EE soft tall seat, motobillet kickstand and I'm sure I left out some items. Yep, your right... expensive... Sweet bike after ya get it dialed in. OrangeCoolaid
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
n16ht5

n16ht5

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 9:04 am

went over and checked his new KTM out... wow it is nice! quite a machine for sure

i also checked both my bikes VINs, they checked out good!!! 8th digits are 0's

xr250Rs
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 11:52 am

thumb thumb On new bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State   Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plated Q and A for dirt bikes in Washington State
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next