PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!

Go down 
+6
mamacone
alward25
Ken Phipps
n16ht5
Inconceivable
Hodakaguy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Empty
PostSubject: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 10:45 pm

Weather was great so Mamacone, Novacaine and I went out for a ride. We had a great time, Novacaine was really hauling the mail up the rock canyon until his front wheel clipped the edge of a rock and caused the bike to wash out. He didn't get hurt but the bike landed on the one large pointy rock that was in the area...taking out the left radiator! :Slaphead:

First thought was to use the metal epoxy that we carry in the tool pack to patch the radiator and pour in our drinking water so we could ride the bike out of the canyon. After a quick look at the radiator is was apparent that wasn't going to happen since the rock tore the bottom of the radiator from three rows of core cry , looks like it's time to push. Novacaine pushed the bike back down the canyon and called a buddy with a truck to come and fetch the bike. After waiting a while we got a call that his buddies truck broke down on the way to get the bike and he was now stranded himself lol. We went and fetched Novacaine's truck, came back and retrieved the bike and then set out to fix the truck (failed water pump). Other than the wasted radiator is was a fun day, no one got hurt and we'll have a story to tell for years. thumb

Scene of the crime lol.

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05429

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05432

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05431

And the rock with KTM orange paint on it Evil6

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05435

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05425

And the carnage.

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05428

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05426

Heading out.

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05433

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05439

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/4/2012, 3:09 am

Well that is my worst fear..... tearing a big hole in a radiator and being out in the middle of no where. I am not sure what the brand of guard that was but my bullit proof guards cover the lower area a little bit more. With that said I do not think my guard would have faired much better with that kind of hit The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! 49630 .

I think I will have to look into a way to removed a damaged radiator and have a chunk of hose to bypass so you could limp home on one if needed. Anyone made a kit to do this?

What a bummer Novacaine you are not the first one to have your front end washout The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! 6229 . My little off from Naches is posted here for all to see The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! 84165 .
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/4/2012, 6:23 am

Inconceivable wrote:
Well that is my worst fear..... tearing a big hole in a radiator and being out in the middle of no where. I am not sure what the brand of guard that was but my bullit proof guards cover the lower area a little bit more. With that said I do not think my guard would have faired much better with that kind of hit The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! 49630 .

I think I will have to look into a way to removed a damaged radiator and have a chunk of hose to bypass so you could limp home on one if needed. Anyone made a kit to do this?

Yeah we talked about the same thing, if something happens like that on our long NV trips then bypassing a radiator might be a life saver. Even if you could limp into a town where you could have a new unit over nighted to you. We might need to look into fabricating a small piece of hose for that as well.

We also looked at the BRP rad guards on my bike while we were up at the canyon, like you I think they would have offered a little more protection but it was a strong hit and likely would have damaged the radiator still.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/4/2012, 8:40 am

bummer about the carnage.. atleast the weather was good eh!
I have a works connection rad brace and devol gaurds.. dont know if they would have fared any better though, ouch.

I like the bypass idea.. hmm
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Ken Phipps

Ken Phipps

Bike : 2006 Suzuki DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/5/2012, 9:27 am

That really was a bummer. Kind of puts a damper on the day, to say the least. I guess that is one reason I liked my air cooled DR650.
Back to top Go down
alward25

alward25

Bike : Kawsaki KX 500, plated, 08 KLX 450, plated

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/5/2012, 2:29 pm

Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/5/2012, 5:24 pm

Rocks are very patient, the will not do anything for years but sit and wait for a victim. Hello
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/6/2012, 12:19 pm

mamacone wrote:
Rocks are very patient, the will not do anything for years but sit and wait for a victim. The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! 66593
Very deep statement! It must of been made by from someone else. The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! 453157
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/6/2012, 8:23 pm

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! 541814 Nice to still see another Big Red Pig in service!!!

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! DSC05439
Back to top Go down
novocaine

Bike : 11 ktm 530 XcW six days

PostSubject: fixes on the way   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/13/2012, 11:03 am

Radiator is here. guards will arrive tomorrow. bullet proof designs this time. they offer more coverage than the flatland racing guards, and if they ever get destroyed, they have a lifetime warranty. Still might not have saved it from that rock, though! talk about a line drive to the weak underbelly of the beast!

Going to fab up the bypass while I work on the bike.
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime3/13/2012, 6:08 pm

novocaine wrote:
Going to fab up the bypass while I work on the bike.

Maybe post up what it takes to make a bypass system The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! 675814 .
Back to top Go down
KTM Kirkland

KTM Kirkland

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime4/21/2012, 11:35 pm

As an en-gineer big I believe the bpd guards would saved ya. Just finished perusing thr bpd site.....man....hands down THE
best guards for our KTM bikes. Just bought a set 10 min ago. Your mishap inspired me!
Drool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!   The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The rocks were brutal today - But we had a great time!
Page 1 of 1