PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SE Oregon Desert Trips

Go down 
+3
RECON
wachs
Hodakaguy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

SE Oregon Desert Trips Empty
PostSubject: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/4/2009, 9:42 pm

Figured I would kick this thread off with some pics of our family's trips into the Deserts of SE Oregon.

Every year my family takes a week long trip into the Deserts of SE Oregon, mainly the Guano lake area and the Alvord Desert. Here's a few pictures from our past adventures. Not "Dual Sport" specific but most all these pics are on the OBDR route. (We're doing the OBDR next summer 🍌 )

SE Oregon Desert Trips 90xr400ronthelakebedss7

My old XR400R, Sitting on the lake bed of the Alvord Desert. This lake bed is so cool, rock hard and miles long and wide. Great place to see what your bike will top out at. I no longer own this bike but still love the XR400's.

SE Oregon Desert Trips Abandonedhouseatguanolaqd7

Old Abandoned Ranch in the middle of now where. Must of been a hard life out here. Very cool to explore! It's now a Haunta Virus hotel.

SE Oregon Desert Trips Img1737nc6

Better view of the ranch. I've never seen mosquitoes as bad as they were around this ranch. All I can say is 100% Deet!

SE Oregon Desert Trips Img1675bi4

Found the Dump, every old ranch has to have one some where. Lots of fun looking around here.

SE Oregon Desert Trips Img1683of2

Pretty wild home made fork lift sitting in the dump. The welds were terrible! eek

SE Oregon Desert Trips Img1733se7

Found this up on a hill not far from the ranch. Later some "locals" told me a bank robber had passed through the area and was involved in this shooting.

SE Oregon Desert Trips 40restingbyamineshaftrk7

Resting by a vertical mine shaft, over looking the Alvord Lake bed. We found several mines in the area.
They were Cinibar mines, (Mercury mines).

SE Oregon Desert Trips Img1469ra2

Miles of Nothing! So Cool!!! We really needed larger tanks that year.

SE Oregon Desert Trips Img1596dc8

Nice thick Mud!

SE Oregon Desert Trips Img1476vm7

Cool old cellar, roof was built using old flattened oil cans!

SE Oregon Desert Trips Img1505ut4

Although I didn't know it at the time, this is on the OBDR route. Very cool to find flowing water in the Desert.

SE Oregon Desert Trips Img1627sk4

Endless Views!!

SE Oregon Desert Trips 104myunimogaloneinthedelx2

The great Green dirt bike hauler on the Alvord Lake Bed. It's a Mercedes Unimog 404 - Ex Swiss Military. Hauled the bikes and a 55 gal drum of extra fuel in the back. Also made a great tent to sleep in at night. I no longer own this sweet truck, it was fun while it lasted though.

Man, posting these pictures up makes me long for summer and another trip to the Desert. OBDR 09 here we come!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
wachs

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/5/2009, 9:33 am

Those are great shots, can't wait for june!
Back to top Go down
RECON

RECON

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/6/2009, 8:25 am

Great pics! Made a ride down there a summer ago in the Alvord, can't wait to go back!
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/8/2009, 4:03 am

RECON wrote:
Great pics! Made a ride down there a summer ago in the Alvord, can't wait to go back!

We spent a week riding the Alvord area and camping/hiking, It was a Blast! Like you I can't wait to go back, I'm really looking forward to passing though this area again on the OBDR next summer cheers

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
MortimerSickle

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/8/2009, 9:40 am

Nice report, Hodakaguy. You have the right machine to get the most out of that trip. thumb

I have been there only a couple of times, and then only on good roads.
I am looking forward to getting back, this time on a DS.

RECON wrote:
... can't wait to go back!
Me too, now that I am better equipped.

Remember this, RECON?

SE Oregon Desert Trips 77149736_uPaPm-L
Back to top Go down
RECON

RECON

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/8/2009, 10:51 am

MortimerSickle wrote:

RECON wrote:
... can't wait to go back!
Me too, now that I am better equipped.

Remember this, RECON?

SE Oregon Desert Trips 77149736_uPaPm-L

Awesome day wasn't it!!! Hoping to get back down there this summer and spend more time up in the Steens.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug

Ladybug

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/8/2009, 5:46 pm

Nice pictures it's great to see you take the time the enjoy what actually out there rather than speeding through and missing the good stuff.
Back to top Go down
rainier_rider

rainier_rider

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/8/2009, 8:12 pm

This is what I love about riding in the desert.
Thanks for the photos!
I like the one with the old home.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/10/2009, 4:31 am

Ladybug wrote:
Nice pictures it's great to see you take the time the enjoy what actually out there rather than speeding through and missing the good stuff.

Yeah that's the part that I really enjoy is the exploration. A group of us are going to ride the OBDR this summer, now we have to decide if we want to do the whole route at once (fun to be able to say you did the whole route in one ride) or break it into a couple years but spend more time exploring (More actual fun).

Either way I can't wait to get back down there, Very Cool riding.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Focker

Focker

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime1/10/2009, 10:24 am

Ladybug wrote:
That's what I'm talking about. wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.xr650rforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SE Oregon Desert Trips   SE Oregon Desert Trips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SE Oregon Desert Trips
Page 1 of 1