PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

XR650R Upper Shock Mount

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

XR650R Upper Shock Mount Empty
PostSubject: XR650R Upper Shock Mount   XR650R Upper Shock Mount Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 5:34 am

XR650R Upper Shock Mount Icon_sad Ok, so last night when I was messing around with the bike I noticed something that kind of bothers me and I can't remember if it's supposed to be that way or not. I really don't want to tear down the bike, but safety and maintenance inspection may require it.
XR650R Upper Shock Mount 587450
I like to work on my XR650R while its up on a hydraulic stand. The stand lifts it up just far enough I don't have to crawl around on the floor too much. But with the suspension fully extended, I noticed last night when I grabbed a hold of the shock I can move it around.

With the suspension not loaded and hanging there the top end of the shock moves around in the mounting about 3-5mm or about an eighth of an inch. It "jiggles" around in there and has me concerned. When I installed the shock I used my bushings, but don't remember this much slop.

So here is my question to XR owners: If you put your bike up on a stand, does the top of the shock wiggle around with the suspension unloaded?

XR650R Upper Shock Mount 944120

XR650R Upper Shock Mount Img_0523
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: XR650R Upper Shock Mount   XR650R Upper Shock Mount Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 7:26 am

griz901 wrote:
XR650R Upper Shock Mount Icon_sad Ok, so last night when I was messing around with the bike I noticed something that kind of bothers me and I can't remember if it's supposed to be that way or not. I really don't want to tear down the bike, but safety and maintenance inspection may require it.
XR650R Upper Shock Mount 587450
I like to work on my XR650R while its up on a hydraulic stand. The stand lifts it up just far enough I don't have to crawl around on the floor too much. But with the suspension fully extended, I noticed last night when I grabbed a hold of the shock I can move it around.

With the suspension not loaded and hanging there the top end of the shock moves around in the mounting about 3-5mm or about an eighth of an inch. It "jiggles" around in there and has me concerned. When I installed the shock I used my bushings, but don't remember this much slop.

So here is my question to XR owners: If you put your bike up on a stand, does the top of the shock wiggle around with the suspension unloaded?

XR650R Upper Shock Mount 944120

That doesn't seem right to me....Sorry I don't have a XRR to look at to verify but I would think that would warrant removing the shock and taking a close look at it for wear, damage ect. Don't want to find any damage there out on the trail!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Common sense prevails   XR650R Upper Shock Mount Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 7:33 am

[/quote]

That doesn't seem right to me....Sorry I don't have a XRR to look at to verify but I would think that would warrant removing the shock and taking a close look at it for wear, damage ect. Don't want to find any damage there out on the trail!

Hodakaguy[/quote]

Well, common sense prevails... I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. XR650R Upper Shock Mount 241248
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: XR650R Upper Shock Mount   XR650R Upper Shock Mount Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 8:45 am

If you grab the nitrogen bottle, you should be able to turn it slightly from side to side, but if it moves up and down the bolts or bushings or both are worn out. For some reason on the hondas, it seems like it's always the lower bushing that gets worn out.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: XR650R Upper Shock Mount   XR650R Upper Shock Mount Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 9:39 am

XCR500Rider wrote:
If you grab the nitrogen bottle, you should be able to turn it slightly from side to side, but if it moves up and down the bolts or bushings or both are worn out. For some reason on the hondas, it seems like it's always the lower bushing that gets worn out.

Yep, side to side (up and down is under spring tension on the shock). Never noticed that but I guess I need to get in there anyway. I'll check it out in detail when I set sag for luggage/camping gear. I'll have access to everything when I tilt the subframe back to get at the shock.

Thanks Guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: XR650R Upper Shock Mount   XR650R Upper Shock Mount Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

XR650R Upper Shock Mount
Page 1 of 1