PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.

Go down 
+15
Chris6_85
big jer
hennikerjd
Relaytech
Shane
Catsailor
KatoomVictim
craig2211
Inspector
stuckinmud
YamWOW!
Backwoods Boogie
YAMAHAULER
griz901
Hodakaguy
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Empty
PostSubject: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 6:50 pm

Just returned from a 1500 Mile off road adventure through the outbacks of NV. Words and pictures will fail to capture the beauty of the NV landscape through which we passed, but I'll do what I can with the pictures we took along the way.

First a little history....We decided to ride NV after riding Oregon's deserts last year . CLICK HERE FOR OUR OREGON RIDE REPORT Last year we made it down to the NV boarder and turned north again, before finding the crashed B24 Liberator that rests in the mountains above Denio NV. At that point we decided we would return this summer to find the bomber and then continue south to explore the deserts of NV. Our planned route would take us from Fields OR, around Reno, into Death Valley then back to Fields Again.

This year we would have 4 riders on the trip, three of us returning from last years trip and one new rider that I met through ADVrider. After a lot of planning, phone calls and prepping the bikes we set out for Adventure!

Start: Hrs on Bike (Hodakaguy's bike): 65.5 hrs.

I'll kick it off with a picture of our tracks from the trip.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. TrackPicture

The Riders:

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_2160 Tom - AKA: "Hodakaguy". Riding a KTM 530EXC

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_2074 Alan - AKA: "Mamacone". Riding a Honda XR650R

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1038 Craig - AKA: "Craig2211". Riding a KTM 530 EXC

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_2323 Mark - AKA: "Catsailor". Riding a Honda XR650R

We left the house at 3am and headed towards Fields OR. Mark would be leaving at the same time in CA to meet us at Fields around noon. Our plans for the first day was to unload the bikes, head south to find the bomber then stay at Bog Hot Springs for the night.

Here's a shot of the bikes loaded in the truck. It was raining a good chunk of the way to Fields. The bikes look so clean in this pic now!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1037

We arrived at Fields Station at 12:20pm. Mark was waiting for us so we all got busy unloading bikes and getting our gear on. The weather was dry for the moment but the clouds in the distance told us rain was on it's way. The owner of the station let us park our trucks out back for the 8 days we would be gone, free of charge! Real nice people.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1056

The bikes all packed up and ready to ride.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1057

We left Fields and headed south to find the bomber. We stopped at Denio Junction and Alan topped off his tank, the rest of the bikes were pretty much full. While we were there it started pouring rain so we all got out the rain gear and weather proof gloves.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1059

It started raining pretty good by the time we were ready to leave. We headed out in the rain to find the B24 Liberator.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1061

We started up the dirt road that would eventually lead us to the bomber although the rain was making this road a tricky one. The dirt was turning into the constancy of a well greased baking pan. The tires would pack up with a clay like dirt and you would slip and slide all over the trail. Mark got a little sideways on a hill so while we was getting his bike straitened out Craig and I checked out a mine off the side of the road.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1064

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1065

Since the trail was so slick we decided to skip the bomber and check it out on the way back when the weather would be more favorable. This decision put us ahead of schedule though and it was still to early in the day to stop at Bog Hot Springs like we had planned. We decided to continue south to Soldier Meadows Hot Springs and camp there for the night.

Along the way to Soldier Meadows we spotted this group of wild burros. We would see several packs of wild burros on the trip.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1069

The views were both amazing and endless!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1077

We stopped along the trail to check out this natural rock formation up on the hillside. It looked like something strait out of a Dr. Seuss book. Very cool.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1078

Alan in his Frog Toggs. With the Flight Vest that he was wearing he looked like a genuine swat team member. No one would mess with us as long as Alan was wearing this setup wink

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1079

Since the weather was crappy and it was already getting late (we had been on the road since 3am) we decided to take the lower roads to Soldier Meadows and play in the hills above on the return trip north.

We arrived at Soldier Meadows for the night and stopped in to the ranch to pay for using the Hot Springs. I had emailed Cathy (the owner of the ranch) about a week before the trip to see if they had fuel and to find out what the fee was to use the hot springs on their property. She said fuel was available and it was $10 per person to use the springs, sounded great to us! We paid for the springs and decided to get fuel in the morning since they were right in the middle of cooking dinner when we stopped by.

The forecast was looking like more rain for the night so Craig and I decided to use the Noah's Tarp that we brought along as extra rain protection.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1083

You can see the storm already moving into the area.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1102

Alan and Marks Camp.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1084

After setting up the tents we ate dinner and headed for the hot springs for a soak.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1105

Craig heading to the Hot Springs. This picture was taken from the spring looking back towards camp.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1110

Here's a shot of the larger of the two Hot Springs at Soldier Meadows, and the one we camped at. The springs is actually warm, not hot....about body temp. The thick mud on the bottom is HOT! just under the surface. You can regulate the temp on your feet by how deep you dig into the mud. The weather was moving in and by the time we got out of the spring we had a COLD! run back to the tent to get warm again.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1109

Panoramic Shot of the Soldier Meadows Springs

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Stitch2

That's it for day one. The rainy weather kept me from taking as many pictures as I would have liked.

LOTS! more pics to come though deal

End of day one:

Total Trip Miles: 105 Miles
Hrs on bike: forgot to write it down :Slaphead:

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 6/21/2010, 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 8:18 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 99711
Back to top Go down
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

Bike : '81 XT500H, 2005 XR650L, 83 Big Red

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 8:22 pm

You already have me wishing I had been there myself!!!! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 882213

Anxiously waiting more!!! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 541814

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 99711
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 9:22 pm

5-27-10.....Day 2

We were up at 5:30am at Soldier Meadows. When I woke up I heard Craig already outside his tent so I asked what the weather looked like, he said it was about to dump on us any minute so that started a scramble to get the tents/gear packed up before the rain hit. We were just finishing up when the rain started to hit.

Since we didn't fill up the night before we were headed back to Soldier Meadows Ranch first thing this am to get fuel, then we would point the bikes south again. When we arrived at the ranch it started to snow, pretty soon it was snowing hard with some of the biggest flakes I've ever seen. We asked about fuel but they were already getting going on breakfast and said it would be after breakfast before we could top up. We were reluctant to go inside with out wet muddy gear on and standing in the snow didn't sound to appealing either so we looked at our fuel and decided we had enough to make it to Gerlach NV. We were on our way again Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 541814

Here's a picture taken at Soldier Meadows Ranch, the pictures really failed to capture the snow coming down.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1117

Another shot looking south from the ranch.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1119

Another shot of the snow coming down.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 100_2524

This home brew 6 wheel drive jeep was parked at the ranch, very cool!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1115

The Snow made seeing out of the goggles a lot of fun :huh, I was carrying anti-fog and rain-X that helped some but it was nice when the snow finally stopped south of Soldier Meadows.

There was a lot of snow up in the higher elevations so again we stuck to the lower tracks and would hit the upper tracks on the way back.

Here we stopped along the road to check out this license plate art exhibit.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1121

Here I'm holding a CA license plate....Destination CA Baby!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1125

Snow from the night before up in the mountains.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1128

Here we are looking at the Black Rock Desert Playa. This baby is HUGE! It looked a little dark/damp with all the rain we've been having so we didn't venture out on the playa just yet....but we will! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 129847

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1139

About 5 miles from the gas station in Gerlach NV Mark's BRP ran out of fuel and he coasted to the side of the road. We went back and helped him lay the bike on its side to get the last remaining fuel over to one side so the petcock would again pick it up. After standing the bike back up Mark realized that he was still on main and hadn't switched over to reserve yet Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 682341 All was good and we stopped into Gerlach for fuel. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 5543

Total miles so far: 171 miles. Gallons to fill: 3.80 gallons.

While we were at the fuel station the owner said that the local restaurant Bruno's had excellent food and raises their own pigs for sausage and bacon. Sounded great to us so off to Bruno's we went. The food was excellent, just what we needed for a long days adventure ride. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 5543

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1145

After leaving Bruno's we headed into the mountains for some Beautiful riding! The first part of the trail was slick clay again and made the riding a little on exciting side. Here Marks bike decided it didn't like the trail and it wanted to blaze it's own. We stopped here for a few minutes to point it in the right direction again and to soak in the view.

I have LOTS of HD helmet cam footage from the trip, after the ride report is done I'll go through it and start getting some of it posted up as well.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1148

Taken from the same spot looking back.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1156

Mud packing up on the bike, I wonder how many pounds of mud we were carrying? Hmmm.... I did scrape the mud out of the fenders several times throughout the trip, Didn't want the fender snapping off do to the weight of the mud.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1160

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1167-1

And a Panorama Shot

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Stitch1

So I started filming with the helmet cam and decided to drop to the back of the pack. We were hauling up this sweet trail when we come across a natural spring. There is a muddy bank climbing up out of the spring that didn't look to challenging, Mark was in front of me and went right up it, I picked a line (a bad one Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 423485 ) about a foot to the right of Mark's and the rear of the bike came to a halt immediately! I stalled the motor so I re-started it and tried again...nope! Wouldn't even turn the wheel, just bog the engine down and kill it. I hopped off the bike and it stayed upright on it's own. Instead of trying to wrestle it by myself I took my gear off and relaxed while I waited for someone to return.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1171

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1169

After a while Craig returned and we set about freeing my bike from it's mud captor. We ended up having to lay the bike over on it's left side and drag it sideways out of the hole. A foot to the left and we had plenty of traction to start it and get it up the hill. Lots-O-Mud!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1173

After some more amazingly beautiful mountains we headed back into the valley again. We were hauling along when Craig came to a sudden stop...what's this??

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1176-1

What appeared to be a full can of beer ended up being a unopened empty can, it had a small hole it in. Oh well, it wasn't very cold anyways.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1177

Mark cresting some single track.....hey wait a minute, why is he off the bike Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 84165 There is a LOT of cool single track out here in the middle of know where, Very Cool!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1188

Craig riding the single track.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 100_2434

Looks like more rain may be in store.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1190

Wide Open Country! If you look close you can see Alan in this picture.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1200

Another wide open shot.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1208

This shot was taken at the top of the hill, where I took the above two shots.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1220

Panorama shot of the above stop.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Stitch3

We headed south again until we came to an abandoned mine to check out, there are mines EVERYWHERE in NV. I had all the mines plotted along our trail just in case we wanted to stop and check them out, all 970 of them!, and those were just the ones right along our tracks!!

Here we stopped to check out the mine.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1221-1

A collapsed audit.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1225

Cool desert flowers at the mine site.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1224-1

A shot of my ugly mug checking out the cabin ruins at the mine site.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. DSCN2278

Always fun looking at the rock structure where the miners were working.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1233

Another shot of the cabin remains.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1235

Wooden Dowels used to support the door frame of the cabin.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1236

After following our tracks south for a while more we noticed an overhang up on a hillside. We rode up their to check it out. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 5543

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1243

Alan rode right up into the overhang, not knowing how much room was up there the rest of us decided to park at the bottom and hike the rest of the way up.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1244

Craig shadowed in the entrance. I'm sure Indians used this place way back in the day.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1250

The bikes parked below, Cool valley in the background.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1252

Checking out the rock formations.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1254

Mark checking out the view.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1257

We left the Overhang and headed south again. Here's a shot of Alan cruising down the dirt highway.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1258

Back at Bruno's in Gerlach I overheard the waitress telling a customer about the white flowers that were now in bloom. She said something about them being a rare site and only blooming once every 10 years or so. Not sure if it was true or not but I stopped along the trail to take a few pics of them anyways.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1261

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1260

It was starting to get time to call it a day, we've had a great day of riding so far. Since our gear was somewhat wet still and everyone was getting tired we decided to head into Reno and get a hotel for the night. We rolled into Reno and started looking for a place. Requirements: Must have a ground floor door so we can slip the bikes into the rooms, don't want to wake up to a missing bike!

I looked on the GPS and we started searching for a place to stay. The GPS took us into a really bad part of town, not only would I not leave my bike outside but I questioned the safely of the bike and us inside the rooms as well. I typed another hotel into the GPS and we headed off down the highway a few miles to check it out. Bingo!

We checked into the hotel for the night, let the bikes run the fuel out of the float bowels then walked across the parking lot to Denney's and had Dinner. When we got back the bikes were cool and when no one was watching we pushed the bikes into the room. It felt great to wash cloths for the night and get cleaned up. All ready for tomorrows adventures!

Here's a shot of the KTM's all tucked in for the night.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1265

And the cloths/Gear drying out for tomorrows adventure.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1271-1

Total miles so far: 299
Hrs on bike: 74.0

LOTS more to come!

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 6/8/2010, 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 9:55 am

Wow!

Incredible report so far...... cheers

I look forward to the 'other' 6 days..... Bow

P.S. I hate you.

big
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 10:05 am

Did you tip the maid? Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 628688
Back to top Go down
stuckinmud

stuckinmud

Bike : BMW R1200GS

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 4:11 pm

OK...this thing is not starting of so well. Craigs profile pic is of him sitting in a cage! Sheesh. I thought we discussed and where in agreement where the captions should go on a forum post. Under the pic, not suspended in space somewhere above. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_scratch I see Alan's tent shrunk considerably. Oh and while I'm at it those are Donkeys not Borro's. Unless they are ILLEGAL Mexican Donkeys in wich case you are correct. And what is with not taking pics because it's cold and snowing, not to mention camping in hotels? I thought you where riding with the guys not the girls. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 682341
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 4:34 pm

stuckinmud wrote:
OK...this thing is not starting of so well. Craigs profile pic is of him sitting in a cage! Sheesh. I thought we discussed and where in agreement where the captions should go on a forum post. Under the pic, not suspended in space somewhere above. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_scratch I see Alan's tent shrunk considerably. Oh and while I'm at it those are Donkeys not Borro's. Unless they are ILLEGAL Mexican Donkeys in wich case you are correct. And what is with not taking pics because it's cold and snowing, not to mention camping in hotels? I thought you where riding with the guys not the girls. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 682341
WOW! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 453157 I thought I was going to be hard on them. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 624421
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 4:48 pm

stuckinmud wrote:

Ok Mister mud....I decided to do the writing above the pics this time since last time I had some complaints about them being under the words and then having to scroll back up to look at the pics.

I think your wrong on the Burro's though, you might want to inform the state of NV that all their signs are wrong. CLICK HERE

As far as hotels...hell ya I'll take a hotel for $25 per night, cleaning the cloths and a good nights sleep is well worth it. I like tent camping but if it works out a Hotel is fine with me.

Where's your ride report mister mud??? Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 587450

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
stuckinmud

stuckinmud

PostSubject: h   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 5:02 pm

Ummmm...I've been busy. Besides it would come out that I ummmmmm....stayed in a hotel. Nevada calls them Burro's so ILLEGAL Mexicans feel at home, would not want to offend or confuse them by using the English word. BTW: Your Dad is the one who told me they are Donkeys. It's a shame how political corruptness has gotten to you as well. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 1573 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 84165
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 5:25 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Burro

That was el Hodakaguy's first ride! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 84165 BTW el Hodakaguy translates to one who rides Borro's.

Last edited by YamWOW! on 6/8/2010, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 5:51 pm

Hodakaguy wrote:

Ok Mister mud....I decided to do the writing above the pics this time since last time I had some complaints about them being under the words and then having to scroll back up to look at the pics.

big Thank you punk Although the bold didn't make sense. Evil6

*edit...great, now i have to go google "ass, donkey, burro, etc.."
Back to top Go down
craig2211

craig2211

Bike : 2016 KTM 500 EXC 6-days

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 6:01 pm

HEY Brent the motels were great to stay in, nice warm place for the bikes to stay in, out of the weather to check the oil and do maintance on the bikes. If it makes you fill any better, some of the roach hotels we stayed at had enought dirt and stains on the carpet and chairs it filt like camping. but the best part was packing all that crap on the bikes................one of the best trips ever.
Back to top Go down
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 7:08 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 5543 So, so jealous.

Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

Bike : '07 KTM 525 EXC

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 7:25 pm

You Sir, are my hero. I am Uber jealous, and would love to someday have the opportunity to go on a ride like this with you. I liked the pic of the 6 wheel Jeep. Also, I liked that I beat Shane replying to a thread. But seriously... I'm jealous!
Back to top Go down
Catsailor

Catsailor

Bike : XR650R

PostSubject: Posts: 109 Join date: 2010-04-13 Age: 24 Bike: '07 KTM 525 EXCLocation: Cashmere PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Today at 8:01 pm   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 8:12 pm

Getting on the move early in the a.m. was crucial - before the maids had time to ask what the gas smell was, before the mud had dried in the carpet and before any of the early risers noticed the bikes being rolled out backwards!
Back to top Go down
stuckinmud

stuckinmud

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 8:22 pm

Did you see any caballos. Alan and I saw many more Caballos than burros last year. Just because the kids like the captions on the top doesn't make it right but nether does calling wild animals by there Spanish names. I just don't see the fun in camping inside. I'm still distraught about it.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMAG0059
Jordan Valley Or. May 22nd 2010. We finally gave up on the blizzard stopping and left town after brushing over 7 inches off the bikes.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/8/2010, 8:50 pm

nice ride report, i am like a little girl waiting for the next barbie movie to come out Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 99711 . GET to typing !

and as for the "victim" i decided i would let you have this one ! your brother sais you have been pouting Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 391375
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 3:41 am

5-28-10....Day 3

Filled fuel in Reno.
Miles 309
Gallons: 3.36

We woke up early, pushed the bikes out and loaded them up then headed to Denney's for Breakfast.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1275

A shot taken from the restaurant.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1277

We fuel up and headed into the mountains south of Reno. The air was crisp and we were ready for adventure.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1280

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1282-1

Alan and Mark descending a rocky hill.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1284

Another couple snow shots taken up on top.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1287

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1288

After some great riding we dropped back down out of the mountains and into a rocky canyon.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 100_2445

My Yellow Balaclava.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 100_2444

This Canyon was a blast!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1300

Taken at the bottom of the canyon.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1297

Hmmm...whats this out in the distance?

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1307

Well a 12 power zoom shows us this off in the Distance. It's the remains of the old Comstock Merger Mill, or the American Flats Mill. The Mill was a Cyanide Mill built to process gold and silver from the Comstock Load. It was built in 1920 and was shut down in 1926. For a while it was the largest concrete structure in the world. We didn't see any no trespassing signs so we stopped by to take some pictures.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1306

Craig taking a cruise through the Mill. To bad the taggers have been so active here, there is a lot of history in this mill.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1311-1

We parked the bikes and took a quick look around.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1312

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 100_2449

There are several underground tunnels that run beneath the main Mill site. Here Mark is checking one out.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1318

While we were there we ran into this group of High School students who were skipping school to play paint ball for the day. They were from the nearby city of Carson City.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1322

Looking down into the main mill site. It goes down several levels.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1315-1

Looks like this old elevator shaft has been used as a chimney for a LONG time. LOTS of party's have taken place here.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1320-1

Looking back up.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1328-1

Tunnels beneath the main floor.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1326-1

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1327

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1325

Another part of the mill.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1341

The foundations for the cyanide tanks.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1330

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1332

Taken on the way out of the mill site.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1354

After checking out the mill we headed into Virginia City to get something to eat and fuel up the bikes.

Took this picture of this modern mill on the way into town.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1361

The Historic town of Virginia City NV. This town has so much history in it, I'm going to have to return here some day when I have time to check everything out.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1359

We had lunch at this great BBQ place, The food was Awesome! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 5543

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1360

Craig enjoying his BBQ Sandwich.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1357-1

After lunch we fuel up again, Earlier in the trip I was joking to mark about filling his bike up with Diesel to give it some extra kick...well at this station the Diesel nozzle wasn't colored green and Mark accidentaly topped his BRP off with 1.5 gallons of #2 Diesel! We all got a pretty good laugh over that one, his bike smoked a little after that and smelled like diesel but it still ran great. Oh well, the top end was plenty lubed anyways. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 84165
Miles: 336
Gallons: .8

After leaving Virginia City we headed south again. Our tracks would take us along an abandoned railroad for a ways....only problem is once we got to the tracks they have been returned to service for a scenic touring train. Hmmm...... Going to have to bypass this section.

I found this Ford Mustang emblem on the trail up out of the Virginia Hills area. Sweet!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1912-1

We scouted a way around the defunk tracks and after a few wrong turns we were headed south again.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1362-1

We didn't make it to far out of town when we stopped to chat for a minute. When I took off the rear of my bike felt really loose. I stopped and looked down and.....Yep. Flat! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 682341

The Ol Nail in the tire routine.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1369-1

Luckily when I stopped and noticed the flat there was a board along side the trail that would work just perfect for a tire lift.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1378

One thing great about being the guy with the camera is you can get your friends to work on your tire while you are taking the pics Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 391375

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1370

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1377

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1373

After about 20 minutes the tire was patched and we were back on the trail. It was starting to get late and we were wanting to make it to a hot springs for the night. We plotted one out on the GPS that we could make and headed out.

Here we arrived at the Hot Spring to find it on private property and a big No-Trespassing sign on the fence. Hmmmm. The wind was blowing at a pretty good clip and the air had a certain nip to it, we talked it over and decided to head to Yerington NV to get another hotel for the night.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1812

We made it to the hotel and got the rooms. There was a race getting ready to start and the hotel was packed with Baja trucks. Lot's of money in this parking lot!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1390

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1389

The bikes all snug for the night Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 84165

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1379

Mark's and Alan's piggys were smelling a bit like gas tonight so they were plugging all the holes in the bike they could find. We got several good laughs over that one.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1383-1

The BRP Beverage Dispenser.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. IMG_1384

Another great day on the trail!

Total miles so far: 425 Miles
Hrs on Bike: 78.8

LOTS more to come Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 129847

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 6/11/2010, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stuckinmud

stuckinmud

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 6:14 am

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 99711 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 541814
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 7:35 am

virginia city is cool, great pics. all this does is makes me want tpo take a adventure. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 99711
Back to top Go down
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 8:35 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 769847

Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 9:49 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 816935 Thanks for the daily fix...
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 10:29 pm

Awesome stuff! I have seen pics of that old mill somewhere before, just cant recall where.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 3:48 am

I've seen a few pics of that mill on ADVrider before, that may have been where you seen it. I read on the net that they are going to level the whole place now....Bummer. They say it's a public hazard. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. 682341

Hopefully the next update will be coming tonight.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next