PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.

Go down 
+15
Chris6_85
big jer
hennikerjd
Relaytech
Shane
Catsailor
KatoomVictim
craig2211
Inspector
stuckinmud
YamWOW!
Backwoods Boogie
YAMAHAULER
griz901
Hodakaguy
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 3:48 am

I've seen a few pics of that mill on ADVrider before, that may have been where you seen it. I read on the net that they are going to level the whole place now....Bummer. They say it's a public hazard. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 682341

Hopefully the next update will be coming tonight.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 9:06 pm

5-29-10...Day 4

We woke up early, loaded the bikes and headed out. We filled up in Yerington:
Bike took: 1.99 gallons
Total Miles: 425

We hit dirt again shortly out of Yerington. A ways out of Yerington we came across the Flying "M" Ranch. This ranch has a 5500' x 50' paved runway!

Aviation Adventurer Steve Fossett took off from this airport on September 3, 2007 and disappeared in his Super Decathlon. They staged the search out of this airport, but he wasn't found until a hiker found his ID card in the Sierra Mountains on September 29, 2008.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1398

Mark riding his XRR.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1404

Stopping for a snack and soaking in the view!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1406

Mark got a little stuck in this snow drift...it was deep. He hopped off, grabbed the bull by the horns and had it out in no time.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1411

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1415

We had to ride around a couple snow banks that hadn't melted yet.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1422

Alan resting on his pig.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1440

We headed into Hawthorne NV to get some food and fuel. We ate at Maggies, made a few calls home and were back on the road.

Gallons: 1.56
Miles: 499

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1444

This canyon was a blast. Here we stopped to shed some of our winter gear...starting to warm up the farther we get south. Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 541814

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1446

Alan and Mark coming down the trail.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1450

This was a common sight along the trip. There isn't a hill in NV without a hole drilled in it. I love exploring mines but in the interest of time we only stopped at mines that had some kind of structures left, equipment etc.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1454

Next we came to the old mining town (ghost town) of Marietta. Marietta was established in 1867 and originally salt was mined here. Then later in 1872 Francis Smith discovered Borax here and this became the center of the worlds borax market. The mining camp of Marietta became an official town in 1877 that had 150 residents. They had a post office, a store and 13 saloons. Smith established Teel's Marsh Borax Company, that later became the Pacific Borax Salt & Soda Company. Borax was mined here until 1890 when richer deposits were found in Death Valley and the town was soon abandoned. (Information taken from the book "Nevada Trails, Western region")

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN0004

The workmanship of the stones is amazing. I can't imagine how much effort that took back in the 1800's.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2315

Another decaying structure in Marietta.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2305

Inside between the two big walls.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2311

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1500

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1502

What's left of the old horse stables.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1505

I feel lucky to get to see what's left of these structures while they are still here. I would love to see some pictures of this town back in it's glory days.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1507

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1508

Up above the building relics there are several abandoned mines visible up on the hillside. Alan, Mark and I decided a little side trip was in Order. Off we go. :thumb

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1489

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2301

This was the first mine we arrived at. It had several old relics to explore.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 100_2459-2

This was the winch shack. It had a winch mounted inside that would pull the ore up out of the mine.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1468

Another angle of the Winch Shack.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1458

And the concrete winch mounting pad inside the shack.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1469

What's left of the head frame. The winch cable would run up over this structure and then down into the mine.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1461

Here is the mine audit. It's a vertical shaft...I wonder how deep it is?

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1460

I held the camera out over the hole for a look inside. Anyone what to test that old wooden ladder? Can you say Dry Rot?

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1459

They used a narrow gauge rail system to bring the tailings out in ore carts.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1462

Close up of a piece of narrow gauge track that still remains.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1463

A picture of the tailing pile.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1466

Looking back down on the old town site of Marietta.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1465

Another audit on the other side of the hill, we didn't hike over to this one.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1471

After checking out this mine Mark headed back down and Alan and I took one more side trip to another mine.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1473

Although the pics don't look it this road was steep and very rocky!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1474
Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1475
Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1476
Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1477

A few hard rock mines to check out here. Not a lot of mining relics here though.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1480

Inside one of the mines.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1478

Alan heading inside for a look.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1483

Great Views!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1487

If you look closely you can see the remains of a early airstrip. The frame work for the windsock is still down there!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1464

Alan and I headed back down. One the way we noticed the town cemetery and stopped by for a look.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1493-1

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1494

And someone was recently buried here as well!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1495

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1496

These little guys were everywhere. I took this picture at the cemetery.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1491

We left Marietta and soon came to the old mining ghost town of Belleville.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1512

Here are a few pics of the old Belleville town site.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2316

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1514

These are the rock walls that remain of the old Mill site.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1519

Remains of a cabin.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1516

Part of the old dump site.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1520

Another rock wall. The effort to build all this back in the 1800's must have been incredible!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1522

Not a lot of metal remains at the site. This piece was one of the few pieces around.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1523

After leaving Belleville we headed south again. We rode a really rocky section for a good stretch and stopped for a break at the end of the trail. While everyone was resting I couldn't help but check out a couple more mines on the hillside above us Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 391375

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1526

No way I'm going to enter this one! Yikes. A picture from the front of the audit will have to do.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1529

Looking back out in the direction we just came from.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1534

Heading out again. Lot's of rocks! Had to do a little boon docking here, the trail just disappeared into the scrub.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1537

Back on a rocky power line road.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1539

Soon came to another old mining ghost town, this town was called Columbus. Columbus was initially settled in 1865 when a quartz mill was erected here. In 1871 William Troop discovered Borax in the area and soon there were 4 Borax companies operating in the region. in 1875 Columbus reached it's peak with it's population at 1000 people! It had a post office and a newspaper, "The Borax Miner". By 1881 Borax production had drastically declined and only 100 people remained in the town. (Information taken from the book "Nevada Trails, Western region")

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1546

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2321

The construction of this building was wild. The entire structure was built using boxed structures.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1540

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1543

Inside another building.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1544

Just outside the building was a open pit. These mines were everywhere in this area, some were fenced and some weren't. Be careful exploring here!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1545

Craig off to check out the Columbus cemetery.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1542

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1547

Checking out the cemetery. There were a lot of graves here, but with 1000 people in this town back in it's heyday I guess that's to be expected. The crosses were still standing proud but the paint they were painted with had long since pealed away. The people here are forever lost in time.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1551

We left Columbus and headed south again. Soon we were hauling across another dry lake bed, this one had lots of Salt! The tires made a weird howling sound while flying across the salt.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1568

Mark heading across the lake road.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1571

Another shot of the lake bed.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1572-1

There was suppose to be a fuel station at the other end of this lake bed....Nope! Nothing but wide open desert. We looked at our maps and weighed our options. It was getting late in the day at this point so we decided to head to Tonopah NV for the night.

Home sweet home for the night in Tonopah.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1584

Mark performing the ritual of letting the bike run the carb bowl dry before bringing it inside for the night.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1575

The bikes all tucked in for the night. We grabbed some food at the worst McDonald's that I've ever eaten at and hit the sack. I was going to change filter skins tonight but I get up early every morning so I'll just do it then.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1576

Awesome day of exploring today!

Total miles so far: 622
Hrs on bike: 84.9

LOTS more to come!

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 6/12/2010, 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

Bike : '81 XT500H, 2005 XR650L, 83 Big Red

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 9:32 pm

Love the Americana history lesson with lots of photos!

One of the best put together ride reports ever Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 5543

but.......... Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 769847, still.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 99711
Back to top Go down
hennikerjd

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 10:03 pm

Awesome report!
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 6:47 am

envious here thumb
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 12:59 pm

5-30-10....Day 5

I was up early and needed to get the filter skin changed out on my bike, the weather was great so I pushed the bike back outside and went to work.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1581

New filter skin installed, chain slack checked and gave the bike a good once over for loose bolts ect. Everything looks good! Just a note on the filter skins...they work GREAT! Did the whole trip on just one filter, changing out skins when needed (I carried 7 pre-oiled skins rolled up and sealed in a ziplock bag). Each time I removed the skin the filter itself looked perfect so I just installed a new skin, added a tad more grease to the rim of the filter and sealed it back up. Way easier than carrying a bunch of filters. :thumb

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1583

We loaded up the bikes, put on our gear and headed out to get breakfast before hitting the trail.....Well that's how it was suppose to go anyways. Mark's BRP started up, then died again and wouldn't re-start. After Mark got exhausted from kicking I gave it a try. Craig is still optimistic that we will be leaving soon and remained in his full moto gear at this point.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1593

Ok...I can't kick any longer. Alan, your up! Alan kicked like crazy for a while but still nothing. I think it's time to pull the tank and see what's going on.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1589

We decided to check the carb to see if something is plugging the jets or ??? While we stayed to work on the bike (and photograph the progress :evil ) Craig headed back into town to the worlds crappiest McDonald's to get a few Egg McMuffins so we could save time eating and get back on the trail sooner.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1597

Our tracks will take us out of town on a road behind this hill, once the BRP is sucking fuel again.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1600

Mark re-installing the carb. Everything looked to be in good cond. We decided to pull the plug and check it out, the diesel that Mark accidentally filled with back in Virginia City may have fouled it out. The plug looked brown and in good cond but we changed it out for a new one anyways, can't hurt.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1605

The plug did the trick :clap With the BRP up and running again and everyone full from the crappy McDonald's we hit the trail again. We fueled up at a local station and met a group of about 30 dual sport riders that were out for a two day ride.

Bike took: 2.859 Gallons
Total Miles: 623

After chatting with them for a few minutes we headed out of town. When we rounded the hill (the one mentioned above taken from the parking lot) there was a HUGE old mining dump site that the road cut through. It looks like the miners had been using that back side of the hill for a dump since the 1800's. Thousands of cans and metal bits littered the ground in every direction. There were numerous vehicles parked and people with shovels digging and sifting the dirt, I presume looking for old relics thrown away by the early miners that might hold some kind of collector value today...such as old medicine bottles ect. There was one guy that had a mini walk behind excavator and a gas powered shaker table mounted to a double axle car hauler trailer! Serious stuff. I really should have stopped and taken a few pictures of everyone searching through the dump but we were anxious to make ground and just glanced as we flew by.

This is the road out of Tonopah, the dump site is at the base of the hill in the top of the picture.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1608

Alan cruising down the road.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1607

We passed this large open pit mine and stopped for a few minutes to take a look. There is a building and an abandoned cement truck up on the hill that we didn't check out.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1614

Taken along a sandy portion of the road, skirting a large dry lake bed.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1619

Here we started seeing the first of the Joshua trees. Very cool!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1621

Craig and I decided to walk over and check out one of the tree's. On the way we spotted a UFO! Oh, that's just the cow pie that Craig chucked towards Alan :D

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1626

Craig posing with the tree.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1628

While he was out looking at the tree Craig found a new toy to play with. I think he's missing his wife more every day!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1633

Hmmmm....what's this???

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1634

12 power zoom brings us this picture. Looks like the remains of a old mill site just south of the town of Goldfield NV. No trespassing heading to the site so we'll have to bypass this one.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1636

Heading into the town of Goldfield for fuel.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1637

Lot's of old Head Frames still standing around Goldfield.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1640

This guy had a collection of art cars. Leftovers from Burning Man???

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1642

We topped off the bikes, picked up a couple snacks, a cold pop and parked across the street at an abandoned service station to rest a bit. While we were there we started talking about when to turn around and head north again. Do we ride another day or take a little more time going back north to find the crashed B24 and to explore some more around the Soldier Meadows area? We talked it over and decided to turn back and start working our way north again. Our tracks would take us a little further south from this point, just about to the gates of Death Valley before we turn north. The decision was made and off we went.

Fueled in Goldfield NV
Gallons: 1.1
Miles: 673

Here I stopped to take a couple more pictures of the Joshua trees that were now much more abundant.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1644

Craig coming up to a stop behind me.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1645

Craig and Mark riding through the trees.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1647-1

Heading across a long open stretch I stopped to take a "Darth Peach Pose".

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1650

I'll catch the action from here as the group passes by.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1651

Here they come.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1658

Alan cruising by at 60mph.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1663

Craig and Mark flying by.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1666

Further on down the trail I snapped this picture of Alan.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1668

Time for a break and to grab a snack. We're getting close to our destination now. Fish Lake Hot Springs! :clap

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 100_2476

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1678

Alan resting in the shade.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1679

Finally we pulled in to Fish Lake Hot Springs. This place is great, except we happened to stop here on Memorial Day Weekend so it was crowded and quite a few of the campers were loud and drunk :baldy We set up camp and I walked around to take some pics and check out the views.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1681

Panorama of the Hot Springs.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Stitch5

The hot springs originate in the small concrete structure with a lid on it coming out of the ground at 105 Deg F. The water then flows into the concrete pool then out into the larger ponds. Very nice setup.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1691

Sun setting in the hills. Felt great to just hang around and rest here for the night.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1699

There were quite a few people camped here, we chatted with them for quite a while about the local area, riding dirt bikes etc. After dark when just about everyone was very drunk and obnoxious a couple of camp fires were started and we all stood around the fire for a bit. There was a 84 year old man there (I didn't catch his name) who brought out his harmonica to play us some songs, he played quite a few of the old Hank Sr. songs and wasn't to bad. Here's a picture of him playing the harmonica.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1702

And here's a short video of him playing the Harmonica.

Had another great day on the trail today! Can't wait to see what Tomorrow will bring.

Total Miles so far: 770 Miles
HRS on bike: 89.4

Lot's more to come!

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 6/13/2010, 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 2:35 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 1573 Memorial Day Americana at its finest Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 1573
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 9:37 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 5543 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 99711 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 84165
Back to top Go down
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/13/2010, 2:09 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 99711
Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

Bike : 2013 KTM 500 EXC

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/13/2010, 10:28 pm

Guys i am impressed... now its time to get my self a bigger dual sport. a trip that long would be rough on my honda 230L..... perhaps in the future.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/14/2010, 5:06 am

Chris6_85 wrote:
Guys i am impressed... now its time to get my self a bigger dual sport. a trip that long would be rough on my honda 230L..... perhaps in the future.

Your 230L would do a trip like that, you would need to carry extra fuel and it would be a slow trip but it could be done. The suspension on the bike would be the biggest limiting factor, there are a lot of trails down there with HUGE rocks.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/14/2010, 5:39 am

5-31-10.....Day 6

Woke up to a beautiful morning at the hot springs. I grabbed my camera to capture the sun rise as it was popping up over the mountains.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1711

The moon still high in the sky.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1714

Quiet and calm....Nice!!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1720

Time to get busy breaking down the tent and packing all the gear onto the bike again.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1722

Mark didn't get much sleep this night because of all the drunks carrying their party late into the night. I fell asleep pretty quickly and got a good nights rest, Craig slept with ear plugs and said he slept well also. The only comfort Mark had was knowing that he would wake them up when they had hang overs in the morning with that sweet BRP sound Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 391375 Mark started his bike plenty early to let it "warm up" before we headed out Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 84165

Craig and I were packed first so we headed out to the near by town of Dyer NV to get fuel before heading north again. We arrived at the "24hr" fuel station to find that their credit card machines were out of service and we would have to wait till 9am to get fuel....it was 7:30am now so we left the bikes parked at the pump and walked across the street to the local bar/restaurant for breakfast. Alan and Mark showed up shortly after and we had a great meal while we waited for fuel.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1726

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1727

Fuel Used: 2.694
Total Miles: 909

We once again crossed back over the salt lake this time stopping to check out the remains of another mining operation.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1742

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1733

Hmmm...whats that?

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1734

Someone with a lot of time on their hands picked up a lot of misc pieces of scrap and arranged them into an art exhibit. Cool.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1736

Collapsed building of some kind.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1738

Craig cruising around looking for more relics.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1741

Bikes parked out on the playa.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1745

Old gas powered water pump.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1740

Name of the engine cast into the block.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1743

Soon we were back to the spot where we had to boon dock out through the rocky sage brush to find the trail again. We really wanted to take as many alternate routes as possible on the way back to avoid covering previously ridden ground so we started looking at the topo maps. Yep, there's another road that will take us through the same area so let's go!

Hmmm....those are HUGE tailing piles.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1750

After a long rocky power line road we came to this...Dang! No Trespassing. This was the back entrance to a huge mining operation. Oh well, back down the hill and back through the rocky scrub.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1747

Craig sitting at the locked gate, even with his gear on you can tell his expression....CRAP!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1748

Back into the scrub.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1751

And back onto the trail again.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1752

We crossed through the old town of Belleville again and noticed a small cemetery up on a hill.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1757

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1761

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1759

We stopped back into Hawthorne NV to get fuel again on the way north, then we were back on the trail again.

Bike Took: 2.711 Gallons
Total Miles: 909

There is another dry lake bed over every hill!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1762

Heading out across the valley.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1764

Another fun canyon to play in.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1766

Craig on the move.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1771

Our goal for tonight was to reach a hot spring just SW of Yerington NV. We hit some great single track and that took us all the way to the hot spring. Unfortunately the hot spring was dry! Dang. It was windy up on the hillside where the hot spring was so we headed down into the valley to camp at a place along the river that we noticed on the way up.

Home sweet home for the night.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1798

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1775

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1776

Had a river right in our back yard. And a large ORV area behind that!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1778

On the last section of trail (the single track) Alan said he heard a weird noise behind his bike. His dry bag had come loose and was now hanging by the Giant Loop strap that he had looped through it as a safety. He stopped to strap the bag back on but one of his sandals had fallen off the bike and was missing. He was about to go back looking for it when Mark pulled up with the sandal in his hand. The bike wasn't kind to the sandal!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1782

Craig set to work on repairing Alan's shoe while Alan decided to check his air filter and his home brew (hair net) filter skin.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1784

Repair complete. Not pretty but it's wearable again!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1796

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1797

Looks like air filter oil will break down hair nets Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 84165

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1786

Not sure if the spare filter Alan brought along is in much better shape.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1792

Alan checking out his repaired sandal. Sweet!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1793

Some previous campers had left some wood behind so we had a fire before we turned in for the night.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1803

Hear the story of how Mark found the sandal out on the trail and Craig describe what happened to it. Funny Stuff.

Another great day on the trail!

Total miles so far: 982
HRS on bike: 95.5

LOTS more to come!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Catsailor

Catsailor

Bike : XR650R

PostSubject: NV2010 Trip   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/14/2010, 6:30 am

Great Job!! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 5543 Just like a front row seat being there!
Can't wait to see what happens next.
Back to top Go down
stuckinmud

stuckinmud

Bike : BMW R1200GS

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/14/2010, 8:06 am

Craig, You obviously have not seen Alan's feet. If any part of your body starts turning green, get to the doctor ASAP. I'm serious!
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/14/2010, 1:24 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_scratch I think the sandal mod belongs in the mod section before the hair net filter skin should!
Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

Bike : '07 KTM 525 EXC

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/14/2010, 6:51 pm

I vote this #1 thread of 2010 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 5543 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 541814 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 262163 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 503529 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 778284 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 870982 Hodakaguy, what kind of gearing are you running? Just curious... I'm experimenting with 13/50 right now, not sure if I'm happy yet.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/14/2010, 8:51 pm

KatoomVictim wrote:
I vote this #1 thread of 2010 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 5543 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 541814 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 262163 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 503529 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 778284 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 870982 Hodakaguy, what kind of gearing are you running? Just curious... I'm experimenting with 13/50 right now, not sure if I'm happy yet.

Thanks, it was a great trip for sure. We all had a great time exploring and riding in NV, I can't wait to go back!

I'm running 14-50 gearing on my 530 and find it perfect for the type of riding I do. It allows me to single track and to haul the mail across the dry lake beds ect. I've ran this gearing since new and love it. If I was doing single track exclusively I'd probably try a lower ratio though.

Hope that helps.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/14/2010, 9:01 pm

Eyes still glued to the screen awaiting the next post! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 735151

Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/14/2010, 9:13 pm

YamWOW! wrote:
Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_scratch I think the sandal mod belongs in the mod section before the hair net filter skin should!

I thought the sandal thing is more of a tech tip, but yeah, same section Evil6
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 7:19 pm

6-1-10....Day 7

We broke camp and headed down the road a few miles to the BuckBoard General Store in Smith NV to get fuel and something to eat.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1810

Alan and Mark fueling up.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1809

Unique mail box at the store.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1811

Bike Took: 1.78 gallons
Total Miles: 986

After eating a quick bite we were on our way again. Quickly we were back into the trees and spent quite a bit of time riding on some great single track and in rocky canyons.

Here are a couple shots taken from the helmet cam footage.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00002

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00001

This was a great trail, it would follow the creek and drop down into it once in a while. LOTS of rocks!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1818

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00003

I was out front going down the canyon when I came around a bend and noticed a bunch of sheep heading our way! We shut down the bikes and watched as they drove hundreds of sheep up the canyon. Watching the sheep dogs work was pretty cool, they really keep the sheep moving in the right direction.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1823

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1830

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1843

Panorama of the sheep in the canyon.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Stitch6

After we popped out of the canyon we headed down towards the town of Carson City NV. Whats this structure?

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1846

Another old mining operation. These look like some kind of brick/rock furnace. Not sure what they were mining/smelting here?

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1850

We filled the bikes again in Carson City and headed to the Subway across the street to get some lunch. Made a few calls home and relaxed in the shade for a bit. While we were there a kid came up to us and said "Hey, aren't you the guys that was up at the old Comstock Mill the other day?" I said yep, turns out he was one of the kids that we took the picture of that was there playing paintball that day. Small world.

Bike Took: 1.3 gallons
Total Miles: 1039

Just leaving Carson City and heading into the mountains above Virginia City again. Had to stop and take this picture. big

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1854

The valley near Virginia City.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1858

Another fun rock filled canyon to play in cheers

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1860

Reno NV off in the distance. We have a route planned around Reno this time so we can stay on dirt. Sweeeet!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1865

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1864

Endless power line road.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1871

We got to the bottom and noticed Mark was missing from the group. Craig headed back up to see what happened.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1875

Uh Oh...there's the problem. He was ok just got a little sideways on a rock. Craig helped upright the beast and we were back on our way again.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1877

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1879

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1880

At the bottom of the hill we came around a bend and found a couple wild horses grazing in a meadow.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1882

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1900

We took a side trip up another canyon to check out some Indian Petroglyphs.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1892

These were very cool! I wish I knew what some of them stood for back in their day.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1883

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1884

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1885

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1888

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1891

Back on the trail.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1899

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1896

We finally hit the road for a short while and ended up in Fernley NV for the night. We got a hotel, hit the showers, washed cloths and went next door for a great dinner.

Bike took: 1.379 Gallons
Total Miles: 1095

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1907

Alan and Mark topping off the BRP's with a home brew paper funnel.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1913

ADV cloths line :D

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1915

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2340

Marks bike took a little damage from the rocky trails...but nothing a little duct tape and a few snap ties won't fix!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2343

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2346

We had to wait quite a while to get the bikes into the room this time. The owner of the motel was up and walking around working on stuff till about 10:30. We finally checked and the coast was clear....in the bikes went.

Can't wait to hit the trail again tomorrow.

Total Miles so far: 1110
HRS on bike: 100.5

LOTS more to come!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 8:33 pm

Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 8:37 pm

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 5543 excellent ride report Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 99711 Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 541814
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 8:44 pm

LOL, This is awesome!!
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 11:50 am

Excellent ride report! Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 541814 I have been away for a couple of weeks without access to the site, so this was a great thing to come across on my return. Looking forward to the rest of it!
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 4:19 pm

6-2-10.....Day 8

We were already topped off on fuel so we woke up early, packed the bikes, had a great breakfast at the restaurant beside the Hotel and then hit the trail again. After a short stint on slab we were back in the dirt again!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1920

We stopped here for a quick rest. We noticed a trail going up the edge of a HUGE hill. Wow.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1916

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1917

More desert flowers along the trail.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1922

Hey what's this??

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1924

Whats left of a old Mining Mill Site. The equipment is long gone but a lot remains to be explored. Not sure of the history on this mill, but it was often common practice to remove all the equipment when the ore became non-profitable to work. There is a good chance the equipment that used to be here was moved to another mill site way back in the day. Very cool!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1926-1

Looking back down towards the bikes.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1931

Alan sitting up on top on his BRP.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1929

Wonder what this was?

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1932

Craig standing next to some of the mill ruins.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1935

This piece of glass was laying up on top, it was about 3/4" thick. Wonder what it went to?

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1934

Some kind of old metal tank and chute above the mill workings.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1939

Not a lot left of the metal tank.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1941

Standing up on top.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1946

Our tracks would take us up the canyon above the mill ruins. Good chance we will see quite a few mine sites today, they didn't build a mill this big without a large volume of ore to process.

We left the mill site and continued up the canyon, wasn't very far before we came to the first mine.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1949-1

Some kind of little shack, not sure what it was used for.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1950

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1952

Looking back down the hill, some kind of old loading chute.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1953

Just a little further up the road we come to a VERY large open pit mine.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1964

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1974

A piece of the tailings laying around the mine site.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1979

This little critter was hanging around the open pit as well.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1973

Looking back down the valley from the open pit site.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1965

Craig and I decided to head down and double back a bit to check out a few more relics while we were there.

A couple more Collapsing audits.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1984

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1976

No way this is safe to enter. We'll have to settle for a picture at the opening.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1977

Old rail tracks.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1987

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1985

Whats left of an old outhouse.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1988

We decided to check out this little shack. Is it a powder shack?

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1990

Nope it's a shed they used to store their core samples that were drilled about the area.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1991

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1034

This little piece of tailing was sitting at the shed above.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_1971

With those mines looked at we headed up the canyon again. There was a lot of great riding here, fun stuff!

Looking back down the canyon that we just came up.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2018

Shot of the mine workings that we are heading towards.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2019

We waited here for Mark a few minutes and could neither see or hear him. Uh oh, better head back down and take a look.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2017

There he is, he managed to get a little sideways on the rocky hill. We had him up and going again in no time.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2031

Craig waiting at the top of the hill.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2037

Here we are about to arrive at the mine at the top of the canyon.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00010

Alan got a little sideways going around a corner here in the soft stuff, good thing I had the camera rolling LOL.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00013

Here we arrived at the next mine site.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2012

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2002

Hmmm...this looks interesting. We better check it out further.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2000

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2001

Inside the mine shaft. We just went in as far as the entrance to take these pictures. Way to dangerous to explore this one.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2004

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2006

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2007

After checking out the mine workings we rode some beautiful single track for a while.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00021

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00020

Mark heading across the single track. This trail was awesome! High speed, felt like down hill skiing.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2052

LOTS of pictures on today's post so I'll split it into two sections for Day 8.

Continued Below......

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 6/21/2010, 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 4:28 pm

Day- 8 Continued from above....

We stopped up on top to grab something to eat.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2060

While we were sitting there eating lunch Alan asks Craig "What kind of souvenir is that you picked up" Craig decided not to keep it. Lol.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2059

We started working our way back down to the lake bed through another canyon when we came across this cool rock formation.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00027

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00028

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00025

Craig had to ride back up and try it again.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2062

Just a little further down the canyon we came across these old school buses. By the looks of them they may have been used as camps or ??

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2067

OK...Everyone in the school bus for a picture.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2073

Alan checking the bus out.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2077

Taking one of the buses for a spin :-)

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2084

After checking out the buses we were back on the trail again. Hmmm...that looks like some sort of natural cave in the distance.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2086

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2087

Better go check it out. Standing in the mouth of the overhang.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2097

In the back of the overhang there is a little lava tube that you can crawl back into. Hmmmm.....

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2098

Some of the lava around the cave had cooled to a wild texture, this almost looked like coral.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2101

Craig standing in the entrance.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2102

And checking out some more lava formations.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2107

Alan and Mark showed up so we yelled down to them to bring up a flashlight so we could check out the lava tube passage. Here Alan is grinding his way up to the cave.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2110

And into the tube we go.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2111

It was HUGE once you got inside. There was an old wooden ladder that would take you up over a rock formation and then the cave kept going. Unfortunately it smelled like bat urine so bad inside that you about gagged. We didn't spend much more time inside exploring.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2120

Back outside again we walked around a bit checking out the cool lava flows ect. There were a couple more smaller entrances to yet another cave and someone had taken the time to stack a little rock wall around them. Hmmm....

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2128

The lava flow on this section looked like it had scales.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2130

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2129

Back on the trail again...lots of wide open nothing. I LOVE IT!!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Stitch8

The trail started following some power lines, it was a fast section and we were hauling the mail. Fun Stuff! Here Craig is catching some air over a roller.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Vlcsnap-00031

Soon we came to one of the many closed gates on the trip. Usually they just have a sign on them saying to please close the gate after you pass. Here Craig got off his bike to open the gate and found some old horse bones laying about in the brush.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2146

We were sitting there and I thought, hey that could be the original Adventure Rider neck brace. We decided that we better try it on for size.

Mark in his "Modern" neck brace.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2147

And with the robust cave man neck brace on. The fit is great! Look for a full review of the "Strong as a Horse" neck brace in the future from Mark. LOL

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2148

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2149

Craig hung he bones up on the barbed wire fence so other riders could see it better and wouldn't plow into it at high speed.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2150

Soon we arrived back in Gerlach NV for fuel. We topped off here grabbed a bite to eat again at Bruno's and headed to Trego Hot Springs for the night. The wind had kicked up and there was a sand storm brewing out on the playa.

Bike took: 2.833 Gallons
Total Miles: 1238.0

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2154

We soon arrived at Trego Hot Springs and got camp set up for the night. Hot Springs here we come!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2155

It was windy and dusty out on the playa. Here Alan is playing with his sleeping bag wind sock.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2165

Couple shots of camp for the night....home sweet home.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2159

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 DSCN2361

With all the dust in the air the goggles helped to get camp set up without getting a bunch of crap in your eyes.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2161

This sign is posted next to the springs.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2162

The Hot springs. The spring is made from a ditch that the railroad dug to get the hot spring away from the tracks that run right along side the springs.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2168

And the source of the hot springs. This spring is pretty weird, the hot and warm water don't want to mix so you get about a inch of the top water that is boiling hot and the rest under it is warm. It feels great as long as you keep slightly moving to keep the hot water stirred up, if you stop moving for a minute it gets VERY hot quick.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2169

Train passing by the springs.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2205

We all headed into the springs for a soak. Felt great!

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2180

People have taken the mud from the hot springs and made faces along the banks.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2184

Alan decided people pay really good money back in the city to get a mud treatment so he'd try it out for free while we were here.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2185

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2186

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2187

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2188

Just playing around with the camera a bit..

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2212

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2214

And a nice camp fire to finish off an amazing day.

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 IMG_2220

Total Miles so far: 1261

Lots more to come!

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 6/21/2010, 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.   Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next