PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics

Go down 
+8
n16ht5
Meberhar
Relaytech
Inspector
mamacone
DEisenhard
Shane
Hodakaguy
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/27/2013, 8:28 pm

Tonight's Progress.

Stock lights removed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00878_zpsb9ed82fa

Wiring in Relays for the high and low beams. Should provide more voltage to the lights and let the high/low switch last longer.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00882_zpsc858541c

Relays wired in, they are sitting on the top right of the fuse panel

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00886_zps2ef5ea69

Wires soldered onto the new head light plugs, and plugged in to the new light.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00894_zps402d113b

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00900_zps185af2d1

The middle lights are a little tricky. You need to temporarily attach the grill to locate where the lights need to go, then mark and drill new holes for the assy. They also need to be adjusted vertically so you need to bend the metal tabs till they are centered properly. Here the new locations are marked and ready to drill.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00896_zps83431403

Old headlights....

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 149

And new headlights.....

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00908_zpsfb516f03

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00911_zpsaee4aee7

I really like the look of the round headlights, plus I've read where they put out better usable light. Now that I know everything fits and works I will take it apart one more time, seal all the connections and paint/rust proof the new holes that were drilled.

Lots more to come....

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/28/2013, 6:58 pm

Since I needed to take the lights out one more time to clean up the wiring I decided to add local grounds at the same time, this should guarantee no grounding issues with the lights.

Soldering and heat shrinking the new ground wire to the harness.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00913_zps7c5d64d9

Wiring cleaned up and ground installed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00937_zpsbc26f303

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC00932_zpsc822981e

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/1/2013, 7:49 pm

A little powder coating today in preparation for getting the front end back together.

Pre-heating the axles a bit in the oven before heading outside to powder coat.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01106

Hanging to cool down after coming out of the oven.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01108

Preparing the hubs to receive powder.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01112

Finished product.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01115

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/1/2013, 8:55 pm

From the looks of your wall board, you seem to be missing some wrenches? scared

Soooo... your powder coating set up..... were did ya get it and how much if you dont mind me asking. The things I could make look purdy with that stuff. Does a regular automotive paint shop carry the supplies?
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2013, 4:08 pm

Shane wrote:
From the looks of your wall board, you seem to be missing some wrenches? scared

Soooo... your powder coating set up..... were did ya get it and how much if you dont mind me asking. The things I could make look purdy with that stuff. Does a regular automotive paint shop carry the supplies?

The powder coating setup is a friends, he got the oven at an auction. The gun is a harbor freight unit, not the best but it gets the job done. The powder is pretty cheap, you can order it off the net at places like Columbia Coatings. It's nice to be able to powder parts when you need it, although it's quite a bit of work and time consuming. If you have a local powder coating place it may just be better to go that route. big

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2013, 4:08 pm

Progress continuing.

Time to get the hubs put back together.

Pressing the new bearing into the housing.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01118

Good thing I saved the old bearing. The old bearing outer race worked great to finish seating the new bearing.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01123

Installing the new Circlip

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01124

The old bearing race is also a perfect fit to drive in the new seals.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01129

Pressing the hub into the new bearing. The bearing inner race is being supported from the bottom.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01134

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01133

Lookin good.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01146

Finished applying a coat of POR 15 to all the newly drilled screw holes for the center lights, sealed all the connections with Dielectric grease and re-assembled/tested the lights.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01143

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2013, 5:54 pm

Hodakaguy wrote:

The powder coating setup is a friends, he got the oven at an auction. The gun is a harbor freight unit, not the best but it gets the job done. The powder is pretty cheap, you can order it off the net at places like Columbia Coatings. It's nice to be able to powder parts when you need it, although it's quite a bit of work and time consuming. If you have a local powder coating place it may just be better to go that route. big

Hodakaguy

Ah ha! So I assume that's not your wall either!

It sure makes stuff kook good. We do have a powder coating place here. Just looks kinda fun to do it your self. Nice work once again. lurk
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2013, 6:44 pm

Shane wrote:
Hodakaguy wrote:

Hodakaguy

Ah ha! So I assume that's not your wall either!

It sure makes stuff kook good. We do have a powder coating place here. Just looks kinda fun to do it your self. Nice work once again. lurk

Nope that's my wall, I have his setup at my house right now big It is fun, it does take a lot of time though. I like having it here so I can do parts last minute if I realize something else needs to be done. I recently had some of my front end parts done by a local shop to save time, they did a good job but took 3 weeks to get it done and powdered areas I wanted left clean....more work for me :-(

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to using the van this summer....I neeeeed to get it finished Gahhh

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/3/2013, 10:07 pm

Installed the new Rocky Mountain Westy plate bumper today.

Original bumper removed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01170

And the new RMW Plate bumper installed :-). Oh yeah, that looks a LOT better.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01184

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01190

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01192

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01195

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 5:54 pm

Pressed the lower ball joints in this am. I removed the boots to press the joints and noticed there was very little grease in the joint from the factory.

Here's a picture of the factory grease. The other ball joint had more grease that this one...but still not a lot. They are both Meyle joints, one had while lithium grease and one had a red grease in it.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01222

I carefully cleaned all the factory grease out of the joints and re-greased them with Redline CV2 grease, working it down into the joint. They should last a LOT longer properly greased.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01226

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01228

Inner seal pressed in to place. I had this part powder coated at a local company to save time. They did a good job other than coating a couple areas they shouldn't have and leaving a couple spots bare.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01231

A coat of POR15 applied to the bare area around the inner seal.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01241

Steering rack bushings removed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01151

The new PowerFlex Urethane steering rack bushing next the OEM rubber bushing that was removed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01148

After pulling the rubber boots off the steering rack you need to pry up the lock tab to separate the Tie Rod Assy from the steering rack.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01156

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01162

My father giving me a hand cleaning up the steering rack :-) It is now a lot cleaner, although it has some undercoating on it that doesn't want to come off :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01239

After seeing the factory grease in the lower ball joints I decided to check the new tie rod ends as well. They had more grease than the lower joints did although I fully cleaned them out and packed them with the same Redline CV2 grease as well.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01246

The new steering rack rubber boots didn't come with clamps, a quick trip to NAPA turned up the correct OEM style Oetiker clamps :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01248

New boot clamped in place.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01256

Nice thick coat of BelRay grease installed on the steering rack bushings...ready to install.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01259

Steering rack ready to re-install.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01261

Using a Dremel tool and wire wheel to remove the powder coating from the tapered ball joint holes that the powder coating facility didn't cover.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01265

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/17/2013, 3:55 pm

Installed the Lower Control Arm bushings.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01271

Power steering rack installed, lower control arms installed with Powerflex radius rod bushings.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01283

Burley upper control arm installed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01287

Here's the factory grease in the upper ball joint....pathetic.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01296

Cleaned out the old grease and packed it with Redline CV2 grease. Ready for service.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01303

Now it's starting to look like something. Drive shaft freshly packed with grease and bolted in place.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 013

Trying the Fox shock on for size. Looks like plenty of clearance....we'll see how it looks when the spring is in place.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 015

More to come......

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/23/2013, 10:47 pm

Got up this am and assembled the second front axle.

Prepping the axles was a little more time consuming that I thought. Once the axles were assembled and packed with grease I carefully removed all traces of grease from the bolt holes in the CV's so the bolts wouldn't get contaminated with grease. Then ended up running a tap through all the bolt holes on the output flanges then carefully cleaning them with brake clean to remove any traces of grease. I applied a thin layer of RTV between the spacer and front CV to prevent any grease leakage then used Loctite as well as the OEM washers to lock the bolts in place. Finished it off with the proper torque on the bolts. Glad that's done!

Started assembling the passenger side suspension. I'm using the Febi upper ball joints to hold everything together until my new ones show up :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01343

Time to install the shock. Getting ready to use the KTC spring compressor.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01332

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01346

And installing the shock on the bus. I'll have to go back once I check the ride height and adjust the spring height, I guessed for now.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01354

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01358

Getting closer. More work tomorrow.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/24/2013, 3:38 pm

Time to get the sway bar back in place.

Clamped the sway bar in the vice and installed the new Urethane bushings.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01382

Moved the sway bar in the vice so the bushing can't move back. Lubed the bushing up with some grease and was able to press the first drop link on by hand by working it back and forth as I pushed. Wow...that was easier than I was expecting!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01384

Well I must have got the angle just perfect on the first try because the second one I just couldn't get on by hand. A couple pieces of scrap plastic and a C-clamp made short work of the second drop link though :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01387

Ready to re-install in the bus.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01391

Installed! Also mounted the reservoir for the front shock.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01397

Got side tracked with a couple other projects today so didn't get as much done as I had hoped.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/24/2013, 4:39 pm

CAN I BE THE FIRST TO JUMP IT!
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/25/2013, 5:11 am

Shane wrote:
CAN I BE THE FIRST TO JUMP IT!

LOL

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
09kevin

Bike : 2009 ktm 530 exc

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:13 pm

You do very nice workVW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 541814

Kevin
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/1/2013, 7:44 pm

09kevin wrote:
You do very nice workVW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 541814

Kevin

Thanks! I'm getting ready for it to be done though! VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 84165

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/1/2013, 7:45 pm

Received the new Lemforder upper ball joints today.

After reading about Lemforder ball joints having more range of movement than the Febi units I had purchased I decided to give them a try.

Here's a picture of the Lemforder joint on the left and the Febi unit on the right.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01418

Now lets test the range of motion. The Lemforder unit is in the rear and the Febi joint is in the front. I'm holding the Febi joint all the way up since the boot is wanting to make it spring back down a bit. Looks like a good 10+ percent increase in range of motion over the Febi joint.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01412

Now lets see how the factory grease looks!

As a review this is the factory grease in the Febi Joint, almost dry! There is no excuse for this from a factory new part, if you are using the Meyle or Febi brand joints make sure you re-pack them with grease before installing!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01296

And the factory grease in the Lemforder Joint, 100% better! It's fully packed with extra grease packed inside the boot. The grease felt good and it was packed well so I just sealed it back up. :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01406

Installed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01426

If your going to replace the upper ball joints I would recommend picking up the Lemforder units.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/2/2013, 4:27 pm

Some more progress today. Not a lot of pictures...but progress. VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 778284

Ready to install the new T3 Techniques end link urethane bushings.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01431

And Installed. NOTE: If you are installing new end link bushings it's a lot easier to have the anti-sway bar unbolted from the bus during install. Install the end link bushings and tighten them up, then install the four bolts holding the anti-sway bar to the body. I ended up removing the four bolts then re-installing them since I had previously mounted the anti-sway bar.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01461

Installed the passenger side shock, spring, mounted the shock reservoir (they are provided with rubber spacers that fit into the channels), and torqued all the ball joints, bolts etc.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01464

More to come soon!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/3/2013, 1:28 pm

There is a whole rainbow of color under there. I am going to go find some Skittals now! big
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/3/2013, 3:13 pm

Shane wrote:
There is a whole rainbow of color under there. I am going to go find some Skittals now! VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 84165

Yeah there are different durometor ratings and each rating is represented by a different color...makes for a wild colored front end. I didn't like it at first but it doesn't bother me now VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 84165

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/3/2013, 3:13 pm

Time to start getting the brakes installed.

I'll be installing a set of Front CV Protectors but thought I would mock up the brakes to make sure everything fits.

I wanted to upgrade the front brakes on the bus since it's a heavy vehicle and the OEM brakes are marginal at best. I went with the VanCafe Big Brake kit which is a Audi based kit, You can save some money by piecing it together yourself but in the interest of time I just ordered the kit.

Some Stainless Steel hoses to replace the worn out OEM rubber units, should provide a more solid pedal feel.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01469

New stainless steel dust shields.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01481

Kit came with 285mm vented rotors to replace the OEM 250mm solid units.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01498

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01500

50% greater pad contact surface than the OEM pads.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01504

Installed for mock up.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01494

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01495

Everything fit up perfectly with proper clearances etc. The one thing I don't like about the kit is there is no tab to hold the hose/metal tubing to the caliper. Instead they provide you with a snap tie to keep the hose from flopping around......Hmmmm VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 682341

Well the snap tie just isn't going to cut it. The Audi calipers have a pre-tapped hold to accept a bracket but the VW bracket is the wrong angle. I did try swapping the VW brackets left to right and they do fit on the Audi calipers that way, but the brackets are to short and they stretch the brake hose at full extension.

Stock bracket at red arrow below.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01488

I'll fabricate new brackets before going any further.

More updates soon.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/3/2013, 8:03 pm

Ok here's the solution for a bracket to hold the brake line in place.

Started with some 1" strips of stainless steel.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01520

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01522

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01524

And mounted up. It holds the brake line nice and secure and allows enough slack in the hose for the suspension at full drop and a full left turn.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01556

And mounted to the caliper. (Ignore the extra washers on the bolt holding the bracket onto the caliper, I didn't have the correct length bolt on hand to mock it up :-).

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01541

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01551

This picture is at full right turn with the suspension at full bottom travel. I had to mount the brake hose where I did to get clearance for the spring. I used a piece of rubber hose and a clamp to secure the hose. The clamp is spread apart and one side of the clamp mounted on each side of the bolt hole, if the clamp is mounted on the back side only there isn't enough clearance for the spring.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01531

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/6/2013, 7:37 pm

Thanks for posting. This is good $H!T.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/8/2013, 4:47 pm

Time to get the seat installed again.

Pulling out the old 3/8" cork material. A small leak in the rear heater had deteriorated them. Good time to replace it while its apart.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01565

Laying down some Dynamat sound deadening material in the low spots before re-installing the new boards.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01581

Got a good deal on some 3/8" finished oak plywood, here I'm replicating the old cork material.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01568

That's better.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01584

My friend Mike helping out, here he's removed the old propane tank. I'll be replacing it with the new unit that holds a gallon more.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01574

Had to do a little trim work to get the new tank to fit, it was off by 1/8". I think I'm going to undercoat the ends on the tank as well as the bottom gaurd/bracket to keep them from getting chipped up from rocks and rusting.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01580

More progress tomorrow.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/9/2013, 8:22 pm

Wanted to install some more sound dampening material today before re-installing the rear seat. I picked up some HushMat sound deadening material and then set out to find a small 1" wide roller to apply it with. Figured I could find one easy at a local hardware store....well 4 stores later I was tired of wasting time trying to find one so it's time to make one!

A quick trip to Mike's to use his lathe. Drilling a hole into a piece of aluminum round stock to make a roller.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 140

Rounding the edges on the roller with a drill and a flapper wheel.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01597

Took a old screw driver and cut the tip off then bent it 90 deg.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01600

Tack welded a couple washers on each side of the roller....this should work fine :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01602

Starting to install the Hushmat. It molds easier than the DynaMat and sticks a LOT better. I'll cover everything clear to the back with the Hushmat. Hopefully it will make it a little quieter going down the road :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01622

My father finishing prep on the new propane tank while I was making the roller tool. I wanted to coat the ends of the tank with bed liner to keep it from being chipped up from rocks and rusting. Ended up coating the ends, brackets, bottom and back with the undercoating. Left the front in factory paint.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01589

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01596

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 DSC01615

As usual I didn't get done a fraction of what I planned. Ended up helping the neighbor on a project so didn't get the tank installed yet. More work on it tomorrow :-)

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next