PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Truck running like a champ!

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shane

Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: truck running like a champ !   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 8:30 pm

Ok code 11 is a start code, means nothing, if you only had code 11 that would mean everything is ok. if you are getting a code 63 and it is for the tps then we ( you ) need to do a tps sweep with a ohm meter and also check voltages. this will make your truck do alot of funny things if it isnt right, its a major pcm input. its going to take some reading of a manual to to figure out what pins to prob and what they are supposed to be reading. do you have a manual or access to something on the internet. There should be tests specificly for this sensor, when you or i find them we will do that next. Also by chance did you clean the throtle body, on some of the ford trucks this was a big no no because they coted them and when you cleaned them this coating came off with it, and there is no way to fix it other than replace the TB. there should be a sticker on the inside of the throat saying that.

sounds like we might be getting some were now
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: truck running like a champ !   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 8:37 pm

those are the keepers for the e-brake arms, they should have been used when the shoes were swithched over. there is one for each side of the truck. the shoes have a arm on them. did one of the shoes on each side of the truck have a arm ? ( it is what the cable for the e-brake would have conected too. if the arms were not cliped to the shoes then that is a big problem, pieces might come off and cause damage. did you have to swap a arm from your old shoes to the new shoes ? these extra parts have me concerned !
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 8:43 am

uhm...yes i cleaned all that stuff, didn't see any coating or anything. Been trying to find a pdf file of my manual but no go. Next week I'll break down and finally get a repair manual for the truck. Sounds like you only need to take three readings off of the TPS, shouldn't be hard.

*break shoes....I didn't have any OLD parts that looked like that so I wasn't to concerned about the new parts. When I pick up my manual I'll take a closer look at those pieces and where they go.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: truck running like a champ   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 11:56 am

i wil try and check on the coating on the tb tommarrow. maybe the 4 cyl didnt have it !
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 3:41 pm

Well....went to test the TPs. Didn't get any reading off of it at all. The manual (which it looks like I bought the wrong one) says to have the ignition key "F", I'm assuming that it's supposed to be "OFF"? Anyway, still want to test it, but while I was at the auto store and asked for a price on the unit, they said $22. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 6:16 pm

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66515

Hey Inspector, found this link for your truck, seems pretty straight forward. I know when I did mine I had the key off, but I was checking resistance, not voltage. If you are checking voltage, I would think the key needs to be on, or else there isn't any voltage going to it. There is a link at the bottom of the page that seems to have some pretty good information as well. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

BTW, I think you got off easy. My TPS was $130. Ouch!
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 10:03 pm

Cool, Picture helps a lot. (helps me figure out i was messing with something other then the tps, LOL) Stupid wrong manual i bought. Crap....I thought I wanted a new plunger thingermobbob....which now i understand why i didn't see how it could have been controlled by the throttle.

Well, since I bought the thing, might as well pick it up and install tomorrow then move on to something else later.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: truck running like crap!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 7:29 am

Yea, for voltage you would think the key needs to be on. sounds like a cheap part, would still be intrested in what the tps is doing. but of a new one fixes it, ohh well. "ALLDATA" shows some tests, a few show the use of a break out box wich is a special tool, you can still preform them you will just have to use some wiring diagrams, at this point i am not being of much helpl, all my info is geard for a shop repair. i will keep looking for easyer to understand info ! ( Like "W" did )
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 10:28 am

#$%#$%$%$%, I'm getting so frusterated. (I know i shouldn't since I got two weeks to fix it). Been to the auto store once today, late for lunch, have at least two more visits to the auto store. Now I know why it was a cheap part. No gasket and no bolts. Doesn't even fit correctly cause it's a couple mm to thin (and i'm not going to jerry-rig it with washers).

On the plus side I did the resistance test on the new one and old one. New one is very stead, old one jumps around and even has a few flat spots in it. So hopefully one I get on that fits, it will work.

**on the plus side, I'm riding to lunch!!
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 12:55 pm

I once bought a carburetor rebuild kit for a 1978 Honda Accord from a CarQuest store. It came with the right parts, but the instructions included in the box were for a 1982 Ford pickup. Just one of the reasons we called that place CarQuestion. LOL

You'll get it together, just take your time, and look at it as a learning experience that you can pass on to another unfortunate soul that needs the same work in the future. You will look like a hero! Good luck Inspector, keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 3:07 pm

Yea i know the feeling, i have even seen instructions in japanies.....try to figure those out, thank god they have pictures ! dont get frustrated, thats usualy were things will go wrong. i know, easyer said then done, good to know the old senser reading is not constant. You might as well go apply at a ford dealer when your done here. sounds like your getting the hang of it !
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 4:16 pm

UPdates.

Lunch was good, riding was even better!!!

Ended up going to CarQuest(lol) cause O'realys(sp) pissed me off. The other place had the same exact part. Lady threw in some free screws for me.
Took it for a test ride (too short) and it seemed better (if not fixed). The only thing is, from dead stop can't just slowly let off the clutch and have it idle/motor around, it'll die. But I can let off the gas at any time after that and it will lug around just fine i think. Shoot...tomorrow i'll test it out better.

Took the rear wheels off to look at those clips again. The old shoes don't have it. The brake arm(?) doesn't have a pin on it that goes through the shoe and is attached with the clip, it has some kind of hook on it that latches onto the shoe. So I'm good on having extra parts. LOL

*Yesterday I replace the washer fluid pump. Could here it going but no water. Had to take off the hose and nozzle to clean. They were just packed with green slimy crap that took forever to clean out. That bad boy shoots out fluid at mach II now!! Ahhhh, the little things please me.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: truck running like a champ !   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 7:23 pm

good to here, hope you got it ! its no fare that you went on a ride, all i see when i look out the window is Frekin snow, got my dynojet kit monday, thinking of installing it this weekened if i have time ! do you ride all year over there ?
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 7:50 pm

yep, (it really doesn't snow that much here). Been trying to save money so haven't ridden the bike in almost 3weeks. Never been longer then that thou.

*Last year couldn't get the car out of the driveway because of the snow......took the bike out. Don't tell anyone, but I don't think I went above 10mph.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: truck running like a champ !   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/26/2009, 7:26 pm

how is the truck running ?
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/27/2009, 9:30 am

Running good as far as I can tell. Because I've had all this time off, haven't been using it much. Went out and got some plugs and wires since I don't think they have ever been changed. Guy was supposed to come over with a few tools and help me change them, but he's a little Pu33y and convince me to wait until the weather warms up a little. He's been working on his truck and says he snapped a couple of bolts because of the cold.
I'm also a little worried since I have heard many stores about how hard they are to change and also quite a few people have had a plug or two snap off.
*still need to change the oil pan gasket and radiator, but I'll wait until spring or next oil change for that.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: truck running like a champ !   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/27/2009, 1:53 pm

not a bad idea to soak them for a day or so in a good penetrating oil. also run motocraft plugs, none of that autolight crap ! good luck !
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/31/2009, 2:22 pm

changed the plugs and wires today. Yeah....I left quite a bit of blood on the engine, but it's done and wasn't too hard. LOL

*the wires were hideous but the old plugs didn't look too bad really. They definitely did get worse the further back thou.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/20/2010, 7:48 am

Time to do some more work on the girl. Still throws some codes, but I'm to lazy to look at those right now.

The thing I want is....Does anyone know a good CHEAP place to get my bench seat re-upholstered? Probably needs more foam and a wire support or two re-attached. I'm thinking if it's $100 or less I would do it. Anymore than that and I would have to think about whether it's really worth it or not.

*been waiting until I get a window fixed before i call around in my area. just wanting to know what price i'm looking at and maybe it would be worth it to travel and get it done.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/20/2010, 10:03 am

ddog hey, look into doing it your self. you can buy factory or oem fit covers and some dense foam, glue the foam in place were you need it and trim it with a electric carving nife, then put on the new seat cover. they are just cliped on with hog rings in most cases. looks hard but with some patients and common sence i think you can get her done. thumb
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/22/2010, 7:47 am

I thought about that and even looked into it a few months back. The problem was that I had to keep buying different kits. One for re-doing the springs, one for the upholstery, and one for...I forget now. The price ran around $100 which was around my limit. I would hate to get started and find I need to do something else or what not and be out that money.

*guess i was hoping for a "i got this buddy that works at so-and-so that is slow right now" etc....
**or maybe someone that has restored a couple of camaro's knows a thing or two...hint, hint big
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/22/2010, 1:04 pm

Inspector wrote:

**or maybe someone that has restored a couple of camaro's knows a thing or two...hint, hint big

Lol
I am sure that guy would loan you his hog ring pliers and stainless hog rings if asked. wink

Unfortunately he has alzheimer's and can not remember how to do that work anymore. poser
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/22/2010, 2:10 pm

Inspector wrote:
I thought about that and even looked into it a few months back. The problem was that I had to keep buying different kits. One for re-doing the springs, one for the upholstery, and one for...I forget now. The price ran around $100 which was around my limit. I would hate to get started and find I need to do something else or what not and be out that money.

*guess i was hoping for a "i got this buddy that works at so-and-so that is slow right now" etc....

i do work with a guy that does that stuff on the side. if you like i could get you his number, i just think it will be more than what you would want to spend. plus he is in wenatchee so shipping would be involved. let me know if you want his #. i will do some checking with him and maybe get a rough estimate.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/22/2010, 4:06 pm

Shane Plz do ask him. I would rather hold off on the # right now thou. Don't want to bother him if it's going to be a lot more then i was hoping.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/22/2010, 7:34 pm

yea, i would keep looking. he said if it needed any foam work it would be $400.00 or more, i kinda laughed. but thats what i expected. i will keep my ears open and let you know if i hear something. i have done some seat work myself, but would need to see what it all needs. i can do basic cover instalations, minor foam repairs, and seat frame/track repairs.

sorry if i got your hopes up. i should have known better ! Duhhh
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/22/2010, 8:34 pm

That's cool. Thank you for asking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Truck running like a champ!   Truck running like a champ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Truck running like a champ!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next