PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's up Sand Creek?

Go down 
+2
Shane
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Bike : '82XL500R

What's up Sand Creek? Empty
PostSubject: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/7/2010, 4:16 pm

Where does the single track trail off the right of the first (left) hairpin after the parking area up Sand Creek go? This link shows the hairpin. Does it go to Camas or does the main road or another trail go over to Camas? Thanks. Troy341

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=47.436288,-120.550854&spn=0.008534,0.022724&z=16
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/7/2010, 7:54 pm

into a big ass 8ft ditch were my bike ended up, up side down and the mirror got broke ! Damb, still having flash backs. scared

<------ broken mirror

other then that, i am not sure. maps get kinda confusing. i was told it comes out on a road, wich one i am not sure. now i am going to have to go to map source and see if it is on there.

there was still snow on the trail when I was up there with some friends. snow stoped us just before the road i guess. i havent been back since.
Back to top Go down
leelikesbikes

leelikesbikes

Bike : FE 650 CR250

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/7/2010, 9:59 pm

it does go up to a road, there is a whole network of trails in that area that arent on the map and will (unfortunately) be shut down some day. that area is a blast to ride, just start exploring and try and remember how to get back, ive made some really good loops in that area. good luck What's up Sand Creek? 882213
Back to top Go down
mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw

Bike : TE 630 300 XCW 1200 GSA

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 7:45 pm

That's the "Brushy Trail". It goes up to the Camas Road.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 5:05 pm

Any major nasty parts to be aware of? My single track experience is kinda small and my bike weighs a fair bit. Thanks. Troy341
Back to top Go down
mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 5:15 pm

There are 2 ditches. They aren't too bad depending on the direction, but I've been riding a long time. I wouldn't go alone not knowing your skill level, and not knowing what you are going into. It is a short trail anyway, 3-5 miles I'm guessing.
Back to top Go down
dunkan

dunkan

Bike : 07 Honda 250X, Christini AWD

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/10/2010, 9:34 pm

Ya buddy, that is your access to the little camas trail. The way to tell if we are on the same page, is after you take the right turn, go aprox 99 yards and you'll go around your first down tree, then in another 90 or so yards, you'll go around the east end of another down tree. If this is sounding right your on the way to little camas, now it's going to neck down to a tight single track. watch out for ankle biters, you'll come out on camas creek rd in about three an a half mi, take a left and go about three mi. Theres a threeway, right is Ruby cr. straight is tronsen left is what we call the jeep rd. but is really old Ruby, until they put up a gate, which you can ride around. I've been riding this area for over 30 years, if there's any other questions, let me know. I might be able to help......
Back to top Go down
mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/10/2010, 9:59 pm

dunkan wrote:
Ya buddy, that is your access to the little camas trail. The way to tell if we are on the same page, is after you take the right turn, go aprox 99 yards and you'll go around your first down tree, then in another 90 or so yards, you'll go around the east end of another down tree. If this is sounding right your on the way to little camas, now it's going to neck down to a tight single track. watch out for ankle biters, you'll come out on camas creek rd in about three an a half mi, take a left and go about three mi. Theres a threeway, right is Ruby cr. straight is tronsen left is what we call the jeep rd. but is really old Ruby, until they put up a gate, which you can ride around. I've been riding this area for over 30 years, if there's any other questions, let me know. I might be able to help......

That's the trail. Can we trade bikes? I have a trail up there to take you on called the "Bitch Trail" that I think the christini would love. We couldn't make it all the way up. I haven't found the trail down from the top yet, but know where it is. I think 2WD is the only way up it, it is knarly. Devil It starts out in the middle of the 2 creeks, then when it hits the road, goes straight up. It was a bitch, and we finally had to turn around. A lot of work, I probably sweated out a 12 pack pushing the bikes over could kill you drops. Don't think I want to do it again, but might take joy in showing someone else. punk
Back to top Go down
dunkan

dunkan

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 8:24 am

Been there too. That's part of the old Tronsen Trail. If you look around in the area, you'll see remnants of it here and there. Several years back, me and my son worked it over to make it easier to recognize. But I see it's getting kinda grown up again.
Another neat trail in the area you should check out, is Magnate Creek. Kind of a sad story on that one (I'll keep it short). In the early 80's me and some friends sniffed it out. We hacked, cut, swore our way all the way down to 97. And over the years, we kept it kind of a secret and rode it quite a bit. Then one day we were talking to one of the rangers and mentioned that we were going to ride Magnate Creek and he gave me one of those stupid looks that they do and said where in the hell is Magnate Creek? We've been looking for it for years. He went on to say that they hadn't been able to find it, so it had been removed from their so-called trail inventory. But continue to use it, and we will designate it as a user maintained trail. As was Little Camas. (We used to call Beat Me With a Stick Trail, which we later learned was actually called Little Camas.)
A few years back they came out with a new trail map of the area, Magnate Creek is now on this map as a non-motorized trail?? We still ride this trail as nobody hikes it, rides horses or bicycles on it. So due to the history of the trail I continue to ride it because if motorcycles don't ride it, the trail will disappear. It's not that hard to find nowdays, especially with the new sign. But if you want to honor the closed to motorcycles issue, I don't blame you. Even though it doesn't mention it's closed to motor vehicles except on the map..........
Back to top Go down
mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 9:33 am

How do you find Magnate Creek trail?

And the "Bitch" trail I am referring to might be the very end of Tronsen? It will drop right down into the trail that splits the 2 creeks just up from the Sand Creek trailhead.
Back to top Go down
dunkan

dunkan

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 2:15 pm

Yea, I'm pretty shure the "Bitch trail"and that tuff part of tronson are the same place, your right, bitch might be more apropriate, LOLALOT!! Now to get to magnate their are a couple ways to get there. This is the easiest way. Go ahead and go up little camas, when you hit the camas rd turn left, go to the ruby creek rd intersection (2 or 3 mi) turn right on ruby, go several mi and take the first main left, you'll go a ways, and you'll see a sign on the left that will lead you to magnate. I wouldnt go down it alone(at least not the first time) Its pretty steep and narrow with a couple "bitch" switchbacks. The trails only 3 mi long, you'll wish it were longer,then you hit 97, you can go right 1.1mi to scotty cr rd, or go left about tree mi to 5 mi rd, and back up to tronson. Do you know about Tip top and trail No.1 ??
Back to top Go down
mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 7:24 pm

dunkan wrote:
Do you know about Tip top and trail No.1 ??

Not by those names. lurk Been riding this area for 15 years, so have probably hit them a few times over the years.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 7:49 pm

you guys should put together a forum ride there. the nice thing about it is the big 650's could even go along, cuz there roads that conect all this together. and then the crazy ones can do the trails ! just a thought. i might even try a little single track again.
Back to top Go down
dunkan

dunkan

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 9:15 pm

The tip top trail is off ruby cr rd, alittle bit before you get to the turn off to magnate. Trail No. I have never found, I'm hoping someone can help me find it, in fact we were looking for it when we stumbled into magnate.
Back to top Go down
dunkan

dunkan

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 9:21 pm

Yea, your right Shane, this would be a perfect place for a forum ride, maybe this year yet...
Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

Bike : '07 KTM 525 EXC

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/19/2010, 8:13 am

Shane wrote:
i might even try a little single track again.
jack
Back to top Go down
dunkan

dunkan

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/21/2010, 7:49 pm

Ya Shane, you should ride more single track. That 650 isn't the best machine for tight trail. Even a mellow trail can have a nasty spot, then there you are, in a tight spot on the "TITANIC". LOL ! You might think about getting yourself a cheap old 175 or 250, something reliable, that you're not afraid of beatin up a little,then we can work on that forum ride...
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime9/22/2010, 7:42 am

i love my six fiddy, would love to get a more nimble ride but my wife would kill me (but i am always cruising craigs list). and for what i love to do, the TITANTIC is what is best. but it does suck on the tight stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 8:57 am

A friend and I went up the 'Brushy Trail' or 'Little Camas' trail yesterday and it was pretty fun. Those 2 ditches were interesting, but not too bad. The bike dropped into neutral at the bottom of the first so that didn't help. I killed it on the climb out of the second, so it was fun kickstarting it on the climb out while trying to not slide backwards. Went left at Camas road and rode up the 'jeep road' a ways before we had to turn around due to time commitments. There is a ton of area to ride up there, lots of side roads and trails to explore. My riding buddy and I are pretty newb at the the tight, gnarly single track but we are learning. Troy341
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's up Sand Creek?   What's up Sand Creek? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's up Sand Creek?
Page 1 of 1