PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

'86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeames

Bike : 1986 XR600R (Street Legal)

'86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Empty
PostSubject: '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?   '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Icon_minitime1/11/2013, 7:44 pm

I have an '86 XR600R and the drive sprocket shaft seal is leaking a
bit. It doesn't wiggle so I think the bearings are OK, but it does leak a
bit when I'm riding...

Can the seal be replaced by prying it out from the outside...or am I splitting cases?

While I'm at it, same question for the shifter lever seal....

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jctra.org
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

'86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Empty
PostSubject: Re: '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?   '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Icon_minitime1/14/2013, 2:23 pm

Not sure about the XR600, Mike, but most of those can be removed without splitting the cases by prying with a small screw driver or awl? Then just drive the new one in with a deep socket or pipe that fits over the shaft.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?   '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Icon_minitime1/14/2013, 6:28 pm

+1 . All the ones I have heard of are that way. Even my DR650... there known to just pop out! scared
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?   '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Icon_minitime1/16/2013, 3:13 pm

I had a 1980 XR250 with horizontally split cases. The cases had to be split to replace the countershaft seal. It sucked since the bike was only a month old... Hope your 1986 model is different!!
Back to top Go down
mikeames

PostSubject: Re: '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?   '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Icon_minitime1/19/2013, 4:47 pm

I was hoping I could find someone who had done this with the same year, make, and model...but no luck so far. The overall consensus so far has been that I should be OK. When I pull the sprocket off I should be able to lay the new seal up to the old seal and determine whether there is a lip holding the old seal in.

Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?   '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Icon_minitime1/19/2013, 5:54 pm

mikeames wrote:
I was hoping I could find someone who had done this with the same year, make, and model...but no luck so far. The overall consensus so far has been that I should be OK. When I pull the sprocket off I should be able to lay the new seal up to the old seal and determine whether there is a lip holding the old seal in.

Thanks all!

You might also try looking at thumpertalk.com There's a lot if tech info on Hondas there.
Back to top Go down
mikeames

PostSubject: Re: '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?   '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Icon_minitime1/28/2013, 6:38 pm

I did this yesterday and to anyone else who needs to know, yes you can replace them from the outside.

I carefully drilled a small hole in the rubber coated metal face of the old seal and screwed in a sheet metal screw then pulled on the screw to get the seal out. Had to do it in a couple of different spots but it worked well. WARNING, the bearing is right just behind the seal...put some tape on th drill bit to prevent hitting the bearing with the drill!

Did the saem thing with the shift rod seal...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?   '86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'86 XR600R drive sprocket shaft seal replacement...do I have to split case?
Page 1 of 1