PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SeattleStrom

New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions Empty
PostSubject: New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions   New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions Icon_minitime5/19/2013, 10:39 am

Just wanted to say helloNew guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions 66593... I'm a Vstrom DL650 rider, with the bike set up for as much off-road as that bike can handle. I'm taking the bike to places where it probably doesn't belong, but having a great time!New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions 5543 I'm looking forward to reviewing the bike section to see what type of lighter dualsport would be more fun in the woods (preferably something less than 500 lbs and having more than 6.5" of ground clearance). New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions 84165 My first ever motorcycle was a DRZ 400S, and thinking of something along those lines, but would love to hear suggestions. Sort of the opposite of the Vstrom (great on the road, quite good on moderate forest roads, but not a single track machine... at all. New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions 423485). So has to get me there on the highways without being a PITA (literally), but able to ride all kinds of dirt-bike type stuff. And not looking to spend a whole lot for something that'll be just a once-in-a-while play bike. The Vstrom will be seeing all the commuting time, road trips, and backcountry adventures on milder forest roads. But it'd be fun to have a bike that'll get me to the playground that I can easily pick up when it falls down (and a bike I'm not going to be upset about dropping).

Planning on riding the WA BDR this summer over several weekends. Really looking forward to that.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions   New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions Icon_minitime5/19/2013, 12:27 pm

My DR 650 is my do it all bike. not great at doing one thing but is good for doing everything... If you know what I mean. We are also going to be doing the northern part of the wabdr in July. I have the DR stuff to set it up for adventure riding. I think it does that well. Its a great all around bike and since I can only have one bike I needed a bike to fit the bill, and I love it. There is great aftermarket support and a great on-line community over on DrRider.com . There are lots of others out there. I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Happy hunting.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions   New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions Icon_minitime5/19/2013, 5:17 pm

Welcome, HI!
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions   New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions Icon_minitime6/6/2013, 7:10 pm

I would suggest going back to the DR Z400S, since you all ready have something for everything else. As you probably know, the Z400 isn/t the best at anything, but I think a good compromise for something that is descent on pavement, and pretty darn good off-road. And extremely reliable, with very little maintenance.
Back to top Go down
SeattleStrom

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions   New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions Icon_minitime6/6/2013, 9:23 pm

Well, I'm definitely keen on both extremely reliable and low maintenance. Looked at a KTM until I read about how you have to do maintenance every several HOURS, not 1000's of miles. I'll take less performance for something I can actually ride without having to change the oil every time I go out.

I had a 2001, and the suspension wasn't great. I've heard the 2002 on has the same suspension as the DRZ400E and is much, much better. And I'll probably need to set up the bike for my size, anyway (220 lbs without riding gear), so new springs both front and rear for anything that's still stock.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions   New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions Icon_minitime6/11/2013, 8:06 am

KTM 350, 500, or older RFS
WR450F , WR250R
DRZ400E

pick one and have fun
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions   New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New guy from Renton... looking for bike suggestions
Page 1 of 1