PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NW Montana Mid June?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

NW Montana Mid June? Empty
PostSubject: NW Montana Mid June?   NW Montana Mid June? Icon_minitime4/10/2011, 10:30 am

unofficial, unorganized, unplanned... and probably a good chance to try out some survival skillz... or at least a chance to practice changing a flat tire or two...

Hopefully not :Slaphead:

Three days, 600 miles punk

*This* ride is roughly based off of a classic, lurk

"Once Upon a Time in Montana" http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82051 and a personal desire to ride Jocko canyon to Placid Lake while exploring a few relics along the way. No fancy GPS points, just a Montana Atlas & Gazetteer and a desire get out and spin the wheels several hundred miles. Stock XR seat and all.... Whistle

Using my very old ADV subscription link, a pencil and a Montana Atlas & Gazetteer I came up with the following route. I thought sharing this with the PNW crowd might spark some more interest. We're not looking to organize a mass transit system through the woods, just a few folks looking to get lost for three days. 200 miles a day, with time to relax, explore, take it in...

Start and out points can be pretty much anywhere in the general vicinity of the ride route. Mostly forest service roads, a little asphalt to get from one side to the other.

Here's a rough draft on Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...338379&t=p&z=7

Columbia Falls
Kalispell
Kila
Brown's Meadow
Niarada
Elmo
Big Arm Flathead Lake
Flathead River
Buffalo Bridge
West side Flathead River
Sloan Bridge
Ronan area
McDonald Lake
Saint Ignatius Mission
Mission Reservoir
Bear Spirit Lodge
St. Mary's Lake
Jocko Canyon
Jocko River
Jocko Lakes
Placid Lake
Elk Creek
Garnet Ghost Town
Georgetown Lake
Pintler Scenic Route
Gold Coin Mine
Anaconda
Butte via railroad bed
Tunnel #9
Basin Creek
Rimini
Priest Pass
Mullan Pass
Lost Horse Creek
Great Divide Ski area
Radio Towers
Stemple Pass
Lincoln
Montine Creek
Morrell Creek
Seeley Lake
Echo Lake
Foothills
Lake Blaine
Van Sant to 206
CFalls

As much as I would like to go early, we all know Montana heavy snow at elevations above 5,000 feet probably won't be gone until July so I'm thinking first half of June or so. Most the route is between 4k and 5.5k elevation.

Rain gear is most likely going to be a requirement. The weather this time of year can go from sunny and warm to crud in a heartbeat. Luckily, the reverse is also true so unless it is raining continuously just wait ten minutes for the weather to change. Overnight temps should be in the range of 35 degrees.

Have a great day!

griz
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: NW Montana Mid June?   NW Montana Mid June? Icon_minitime4/10/2011, 10:45 am

Would this be camping or are motels/cabins close to the overnight spots? The ADVrider Hells Canyon meetup is June 17-19. Any ideas on dates for this ride?
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: NW Montana Mid June?   NW Montana Mid June? Icon_minitime4/10/2011, 11:06 am

dhally wrote:
Would this be camping or are motels/cabins close to the overnight spots? The ADVrider Hells Canyon meetup is June 17-19. Any ideas on dates for this ride?

This is dispersed camping (Forest service regs - 300 ft from roadways, leave no trace, etc.). I don't plan on using motels unless my family meets up at Georgetown Lake, but there are motels/cabins campgrounds available in the general vicinity of the route.

I don't have a firm date right now, a couple locals and I need to meet up and see when is a good time. Like everyone else in the region, all the good "rides" happen about the same time.

Stay tuned and we should have some dates in the next couple weeks. lurk
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: NW Montana Mid June?   NW Montana Mid June? Icon_minitime4/10/2011, 11:29 am

I am a weenie when it comes to camping @ 35 degrees but can do it.

griz901 wrote:
dhally wrote:

This is dispersed camping (Forest service regs - 300 ft from roadways, leave no trace, etc.). I don't plan on using motels unless my family meets up at Georgetown Lake, but there are motels/cabins campgrounds available in the general vicinity of the route.

I don't have a firm date right now, a couple locals and I need to meet up and see when is a good time. Like everyone else in the region, all the good "rides" happen about the same time.

Stay tuned and we should have some dates in the next couple weeks. lurk
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: NW Montana Mid June?   NW Montana Mid June? Icon_minitime4/10/2011, 1:16 pm

Guys, is the map link working for you?

grizGoogle map route Link CLICK ON THIS
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: NW Montana Mid June?   NW Montana Mid June? Icon_minitime4/10/2011, 3:41 pm

yep ! thumb

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NW Montana Mid June?   NW Montana Mid June? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NW Montana Mid June?
Page 1 of 1