PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Acerbis Bar Guard probs

Go down 
+2
Inspector
cool1442
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cool1442

cool1442

Bike : KTM 950 SE

Acerbis Bar Guard probs Empty
PostSubject: Acerbis Bar Guard probs   Acerbis Bar Guard probs Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 11:16 pm

Sorry to ask ths question as its probably pretty redundant. Im installing a set of Acerbis Multiconcept bar guards on my XR650R. Im a bit disappointed by the pieces and over all fit of the parts that make up the assembly. The screws that hold the handlebar clamps together are impossible short, so I got some that are 5mm longer..problem one solved, tho it took a 30 mile trip to get screws. When the whole assemly is together, the actual bar part doesnt line up with the clamp's hole unless I flex it. When I do that, it seems to put an unnecessary strain on the whole assembly, which seems a bad start. I hate stuff that has to be forced together. I can put the bar part in a vice and reshape it easy enough and it looks like that will have to be done. Ive mounted it and remounted it, wiggled and rotated it around on my Tusk aluminum bars till they are well scratched up. I guess Im just real disappointed in the general quality. Ive never used Acerbis stuff before and this set cost 100$ . Any hints folks?
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Acerbis Bar Guard probs   Acerbis Bar Guard probs Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 5:54 am

No hints from me as I've tried Cyra and enduro-somethingorother, not too impressed with the latter. Cyra was/is the best most stout (unless your talking that Highway one, which i WANT). Anyway, they make the guards to fit multiple bikes with little to no adjustment on their part. This means that without tweeking on our part....they just don't fit. So don't feel to bad, we all go thro that crap.
*the 2short of screws is bullsh^t tho
Back to top Go down
T.Low

T.Low

Bike : 2010 GasGas EC 450

PostSubject: Re: Acerbis Bar Guard probs   Acerbis Bar Guard probs Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 11:01 am

Inspector wrote:
No hints from me as I've tried Cyra and enduro-somethingorother, not too impressed with the latter. Cyra was/is the best most stout (unless your talking that Highway one, which i WANT). Anyway, they make the guards to fit multiple bikes with little to no adjustment on their part. This means that without tweeking on our part....they just don't fit. So don't feel to bad, we all go thro that crap.
*the 2short of screws is bullsh^t tho

x2

It's a little embarrassing how long it takes me to take off my bent-to-hell Acerbis bark busters, beat them back into submission, and reinstall them.

If there are secrets to speed up this procedure, they are no doubt kept tightly guarded at AMA headquarters.
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Acerbis Bar Guard probs   Acerbis Bar Guard probs Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 1:44 pm

I don't like the metal guards, since they rarely fit right (too many bar shapes), grind down on asphalt, and stay bent. I prefer the all plastic Acerbis rally guards, now called Rally Profile I guess? They are lighter, snap back into place with a fist pound, and I've never broken a lever with them.

Acerbis Bar Guard probs 08AcerbisRallyProfileGuardLG
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: Acerbis Bar Guard probs   Acerbis Bar Guard probs Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 1:54 pm

PeteN95 wrote:
I don't like the metal guards, since they rarely fit right (too many bar shapes), grind down on asphalt, and stay bent. I prefer the all plastic Acerbis rally guards, now called Rally Profile I guess? They are lighter, snap back into place with a fist pound, and I've never broken a lever with them.

Acerbis Bar Guard probs 08AcerbisRallyProfileGuardLG
+1 I have those on my 200 and they have taken a good beating.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

Bike : '81 XT500H, 2005 XR650L, 83 Big Red

PostSubject: Re: Acerbis Bar Guard probs   Acerbis Bar Guard probs Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 9:09 pm

When it comes to hand guards the Moose Racing Contour Hand guards are the way to go! They make the guards to fit your particular bars, pro taper, renthal, 1-1/8, 7/8, etc. Mine fit like a glove and would never buy anything else again. The plastic guard that fits over top of the hand guard is replaceable and screws right on for a perfect fit. Highly recommend! thumb

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/192/19889/ITEM/Moose-Racing-Contour-Handguards.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch
Back to top Go down
cool1442

cool1442

Bike : KTM 950 SE

PostSubject: Re: Acerbis Bar Guard probs   Acerbis Bar Guard probs Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 10:02 pm

I go them on. I was being too careful and once I got the vice and big soft hammer engaged it all came together. They are pretty capable looking however I have two issues to still work out. I have Tusk Aluminum Bars, HI KX bend, which has worked well for me. Tusk aluminum bars have a bolt on cross brace and its clamps want to live in the same place as the Acerbis clamps. so I'll have to re=do the bar brace. THe bigger issue is that the Acerbis clamps bump into my Clarke tank at full steering lock. so more adjustment is needed or at worse, different bars. I like the guards themselves, the are hell for sturdy and come with two sizes of guards that fit great with two screws. A hassel but also a fun project...part of riding right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acerbis Bar Guard probs   Acerbis Bar Guard probs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Acerbis Bar Guard probs
Page 1 of 1