PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hand guard loving...HNT

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

Hand guard loving...HNT Empty
PostSubject: Hand guard loving...HNT   Hand guard loving...HNT Icon_minitime1/23/2011, 4:56 pm

Decided to do a little TLC to the bike today. Only had a limited time so didn't get much done.
Last ride I was on bent up my clutch lever. This was in part because my hand guards where bent from previous rides. I decided to replace the bent up bolts and end-bar inserts. Hopefully the pictures clear up what i mean. Anyway, the parts department let me in on a little secret. Hopefully it works out.

I have Cycra guards. The inserts are awfully flimsy and I have had to replace them many times. I was told I can use Acerbis inserts. Just need to grind off the notch on the end. Hmmmm... lets give this a try.
Don't have any pictures of the grinding process. Mostly because I could be fired for bringing in a camera, and a little because I just plum forgot.
Here's a picture with the Acerbis on top and the whimpier Cycra on bottom
Hand guard loving...HNT DSCF1606
The only thing missing is the little notch on the screw end. I machined it off at work. The Acerbis insert is longer and seems way more stout. Hopefully it will hold up a little better.

They Cycra doesn't have a lip so it fully inserts into the bar. Here is my old one all bent up.
Hand guard loving...HNT DSCF1609

The Acerbis has a lip. I think it will make it stronger.
Hand guard loving...HNT DSCF1608

Since I have been drinking
Hand guard loving...HNT DSCF1612

I'll post more pictures than needed. big
Hand guard loving...HNT DSCF1610

One side went great. Bent the old triple mount back into shape for the fourth time. The other side didn't go so well. The mount decided it didn't want to be bent anymore.
Hand guard loving...HNT DSCF1611

Now the question is....where can I get another set of the triple mounts?? If I order online The shipping is almost as much as the part. If I go to a dealer...have to order an entire kit which i don't need. Any thoughts.....????
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Hand guard loving...HNT   Hand guard loving...HNT Icon_minitime1/24/2011, 4:24 pm

take it to some one that can weld aluminum, have him build it up grind on it then drill a new hole.

I had a engine block that busted a bolt hole clean off for the t-belt idler, and i sent it out and it came back looking brand new. then again, it might cost as much as a new mount ?

(or, zip tie it ! then re-inforce it with duck tape, then epoxy over that. that should hold) Whistle
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Hand guard loving...HNT   Hand guard loving...HNT Icon_minitime1/24/2011, 6:15 pm

Hahaha. Ya, they are only 34.xx for a pair. Got a call out to someone to see if they will ship some to me for cheap. If not then I HOPE my local dealership can order them in for about the same price. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Hand guard loving...HNT   Hand guard loving...HNT Icon_minitime1/25/2011, 2:32 pm

Wow, those Cycra bar end mounts suck for as much money as they charge for their hand guards!?! I run the all plastic Acerbis and have had the same guards for over ten years, they never broke and I've never broken a lever either. When I do crash, they usually twist up a little, but I just pound them back with my hand. The crashing includes 80+mph on pavement racing Supermoto too!
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Hand guard loving...HNT   Hand guard loving...HNT Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 7:50 am

^just got invited to walker Saturday. Laughed and said I don't have handgaurds right now (actually hope to get that piece sat). He laughed at me and said "ride anyway, you don't need them." Anybody that's seen me crash or even just "lay the bike down" knows that yes, i do need them. LOL!
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Hand guard loving...HNT   Hand guard loving...HNT Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 8:00 pm

Hardware store, concrete anchor bolt. thumb

Thought about that. Probably the best way to go would be to get a tap that fits the handlebars. Do it up like DHB(sp)

*i was hoping to ride sunday....guess not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hand guard loving...HNT   Hand guard loving...HNT Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hand guard loving...HNT
Page 1 of 1