PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!

Go down 
+17
Captain Midnight
T.Low
Wack
Lewiss
dunkan
marbec1a
Enduroguy
Backwoods Boogie
2k3bandit
A74R1
Shane
Relaytech
mamacone
PeteN95
KatoomVictim
Inspector
ringo56
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ringo56

Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Empty
PostSubject: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime5/19/2010, 10:16 am

I am looking at the Kawasaki KLX250s and the Suzuki DRZ400s..... am I missing anything and will these two models give me enough power to do some long distance traveling on forest service and/or trail. All the help you guys/gals can give me would be much appreciated. I have been riding road bikes for years, but this will be my first dirt bike.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime5/19/2010, 11:08 am

You are missing a lot of bikes on your list. Is there a reason why? Just curious.
Back to top Go down
ringo56

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime5/19/2010, 12:13 pm

I was given those two as a two dependable bikes, i really am open to more suggestions
Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

Bike : '07 KTM 525 EXC

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime5/19/2010, 12:52 pm

KTM EXC Series Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! 882213 I'm not biased...
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime5/19/2010, 1:25 pm

Honda XR650L and Suzuki DR650 would also be good.
Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime5/19/2010, 4:08 pm

If you don't mind kick starting, a ton of power, great performance and at best 40 mpg a street legal XR650R (not the L), is a proven bike, the L is proven too just not very dirt worthy. They are going pretty cheap, Just depends what you want to do with it. The R is one of the best do it all bikes I know other than the KTM's, if there is a such thing. I think everybody needs at least 4 bikes.
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime5/19/2010, 5:21 pm

The term "Dual Sport" is very broad. The range of so called "Dual Sports" can go from the Triumph Tiger to say KTM EXC or Yamaha TW. Since you gave examples of the KLX 250 and DRZ400, I am assuming you mean light weight street legal dirt bikes. In that case, I think the DRZ400 is a much better choice than the KLX 250. But if it is important to you, the KLX seat height is about 2" lower than the DRZ. I would probably look for something that is 50 or 49 state street legal. The Honda XR650R is not. Those plates may get pulled in WA. The DRZ is probably the most reliable "performance" bike that meets that description. The maintenance is next to nothing also. They are not as technologically advanced as the KTM, or other newer designs. The new bikes from KTM, Husaberg, Beta etc. are better in every way, except maybe for reliability and amount of maintenance needed. But cost is more too. All that being said, I think my next bike will be either a Beta or Husaberg. Rumor has it that the 2011 Husabergs will be 50 state street legal.
Oh, and having 4 bikes helps too! lol
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime5/19/2010, 7:17 pm

PeteN95 wrote:
Honda XR650L and Suzuki DR650 would also be good.

+1 Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! 262163
Back to top Go down
A74R1

Bike : 2006 XT225

PostSubject: Biased..   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime5/20/2010, 9:02 pm

I, just like you was faced with the same decision about a year ago. I really wanted to get into dual sports but had a limited budget ($2500) and had specific things in mind for what I wanted. First and foremost I wanted a reliable machine.. something easy to work on and maintain myself.. something easy on the wallet to buy as well as fuel..and finally a bike that could both get me to work (50 miles round trip) and also out onto the trails. I had never had a "dirt bike" either and knew for a fact that a 650 would be a bit too much power for me as far as doing what I wanted to do (taking it fairly easy and still being able to control the bike easily). As far as going for reliability, I came to the conclusion I wanted low miles and something fairly new, but buying a brand new bike was out of my budget. That left it up to used bikes, in which I had 4 on my list. KLX250S, KLR250, DRZ400, and the XT225 (thinking now I wonder why the CRF230 wasn't on there). Quite frankly I would have been very happy with any of these bikes, but the KLX and DRZ were a little out of my price range. I researched and researched, and came to the conclusion that the XT was the perfect bike for me... I ended up finding a 2006 with only 210 miles on it for $2300, I couldn't pass up the chance to buy it since it was one of my favorite paint schemes that year. I did a few mods to the bike and got a little bit more grunt out of it, and for what it is, I am very satisfied with my first dual sport bike. Is able to get me to work on the freeway (70 mph), and out to the trails while maintaining an average of 65 mpg. It has just enough power to loft the front end when necessary and also not too much power where I feel out of control in the dirt. All I can say is that it is a very fun bike to ride and I constantly have a smile on my face when I am on it. Everyone has different tastes for different bikes, in fact I agree with Relaytech about having multiple bikes for different purposes. That being said.. I can't wait to get a KLR650. I'm sure you won't regret which ever bike you choose, because once you go out and ride your first single track or fire road you'll be hooked! Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! 5543
Back to top Go down
2k3bandit

Bike : 03 Bandit 1200s, 98 DR650S

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 4:01 pm

I would stay away from the KTM EXC. Great bike but I would like to see how the new law in Washington State pans out. It may make the EXC no longer street legal. I have a DR650 and I love it. A little heavy for really hard stuff off road but with my Corbin seat it rides like a dream and has plenty of power.
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 5:15 pm

2k3bandit wrote:
I would like to see how the new law in Washington State pans out.

What is this "new" law you speak of? Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 10:55 am

As for KTM, 07 and newer EXCr models are fine and will continue to be plated. From what Ive been reading its the XC-W and older EXC bikes that might lose plates. Lots of posts and controversy over this subject on other sites and its not just KTM rumored to be losing plates. For what its worth I just got tabs again in the mail for my plated 05 200exc :O)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
marbec1a

marbec1a

Bike : 2009 KLX250S

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 6:49 pm

Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! 241248 [/size]

My suggestion is to do some research on the web and see what fits your needs and wants.

The best bike is the one that always makes you smile.
Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 6:52 pm

I LIKE TATER TOTS! Wait... What?...
Back to top Go down
dunkan

dunkan

Bike : 07 Honda 250X, Christini AWD

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 7:27 pm

What is the best dual sport bike I can buy???..."Well",,That just, might be, the bigggest question ,in the dualsport universe!!
Back to top Go down
2k3bandit

Bike : 03 Bandit 1200s, 98 DR650S

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 10:37 pm

Here is a post about the KTM thing. I don't have enough information to determine exactly what bikes may be affected. I love KTMs I'm just saying do your homework and make sure the bike your buying will stay a dual sport.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13101420

It would appear that it may only affect 2 strokes but I am still reading.
Back to top Go down
Lewiss

PostSubject: Street Legal Kits   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/21/2010, 8:36 pm

Has anybody taken the steps to make a XR650R street legal in Washington State? It seems that manufactures are make more dual purpose bikes dirt friendly, but for the ones that would prefer a plated dirt bike, I would be curious on what steps one needs to take to legalize a dirt bike (i.e. WR450, XR650R, ets). Has anyone had success???
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/21/2010, 8:44 pm

Two people in this thread alone
Back to top Go down
Wack

Wack

Bike : DRZ400S

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 10:50 pm

Ringo,
I have a KLX250S and a DRZ400. Both are great bikes but I'm a bigger, older guy and the DRZ400 is much more suited to my size than the KLX250S is. My son rides the KLX and I ride the DRZ. Both bikes are a ton of fun, relatively low maintenance. The KLX has better gearing out of the box for trails...my DRZ is geared too high and i'm going to have to bite the bullet and change sprockets in order to get it geared low enough to crawl along the trails.

Recomend you try both of them and see which suits you best!

Wack
Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 8:46 am

Get teh DRZ, and then put all the Black Mamba stuff on it Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! 882213
Back to top Go down
T.Low

T.Low

Bike : 2010 GasGas EC 450

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 11:48 pm

I ride with three different guys that have DRZ 400's. While they are 50-65 lbs heavier than my GasGas, and have less power, and squishier suspension, at the end of the day, they are doing most everything I'm doing on single track, and have a much easier go of it on the road.

I'm impressed.
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 4:10 pm

Lewiss wrote:
Has anybody taken the steps to make a XR650R street legal in Washington State? It seems that manufactures are make more dual purpose bikes dirt friendly, but for the ones that would prefer a plated dirt bike, I would be curious on what steps one needs to take to legalize a dirt bike (i.e. WR450, XR650R, ets). Has anyone had success???

It can only be done if the bike has never been licensed as an ORV in WA. It also must come from out of state with a plate on it.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 1:03 am

I'm riding a WR250R and I realy like it. It does highway and woods like no other.
Back to top Go down
mudgepondexpress

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 10:30 am

If you don't mind used, can kick a bike (no electric starter) and don't have to have the latest and greatest, may I suggest a 1991-1996 XR250L? Easy to ride slow, easy to ride fast, quite capable, can easily do highway speeds, simple, cheap, effective. Two of my 4 riding friends have DRZ's and they can run away from me on the fast fireroads and highways, but once it starts to tighten up I leave them way behind.

There is one on ADV Rider that has 2400 miles for $1000, and I have seen plenty in the $1500 range with roughly 6000 miles. Mine is sitting at 14,000 miles and is still a great bike but the valve seals are leaking a bit. Hopefully I will freshen it up this winter.

Just a thought.

Kenny
Back to top Go down
1clickhigh

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 11:53 am

Quote :
It can only be done if the bike has never been licensed as an ORV in WA. It also must come from out of state with a plate on it.

Careful. I was denied a WA plate by the WA DOL on an OR plated and street titled Husky TC450 with all the lights, signals, mirrios, dot tires, etc.

I'd stick with factory street legal in this state to be safe. Word is jap bikes are next behind the KTM's on Olympia's mailing list.

Back on topic.

KLX250s is a really fun bike, especially off road. Good suspension, weight and power with typical re-jet, de-smog and exhaust.
It's a bit squirrly on pavement. I think the tall height and low weight just make it tough to fight crosswinds and passing trucks.
That said a Bill Blue 351cc kit is supposedly the ticket to one heck of a ride on these. Mine just had the typical mods so I can't comment on the 351cc.

DRZ400s/sm. Ohh the DRZ.

I bought a new one back in 2007. 5 bikes and 3 years later I just went back and picked up another DRZ440sm on xmas eve. (440 is a big bore kit)
Yes any 650cc is faster, yes KTM's have a magic clutch and plush suspension, yes the WR250r has a 6th gear that floats down the highway at 70 mph.
DRZ has a heavy steel frame, steel tank, it's carburated, only has 5 speed trans, vulnerable radiators, moderate 30hp, limited suspension and dated styling.

But, there's just something about it I like. It's like wearing my old logging boots and hiking up to my secret fishing lake.
Just fits really well and I never worry about it. I've run out of gas by just enjoying the ride and not thinking about my bike at all.
(Saved by 2x MSR 33oz fuel bottles!)

There are better off road bikes and there are better on roads bikes. Cost vs. capability is always a balancing act.

I've gone full circle with exotics, large discplacements, lightweight kick start rockets and ended up back on the DRZ and happy I did.
Of course the 440 big bore kit, hotcams and 39FCR carb contribute to that happiness but it is what it is, just another DRZ. I like it though.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next