PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!

Go down 
+17
Captain Midnight
T.Low
Wack
Lewiss
dunkan
marbec1a
Enduroguy
Backwoods Boogie
2k3bandit
A74R1
Shane
Relaytech
mamacone
PeteN95
KatoomVictim
Inspector
ringo56
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
1clickhigh

Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 11:53 am

Quote :
It can only be done if the bike has never been licensed as an ORV in WA. It also must come from out of state with a plate on it.

Careful. I was denied a WA plate by the WA DOL on an OR plated and street titled Husky TC450 with all the lights, signals, mirrios, dot tires, etc.

I'd stick with factory street legal in this state to be safe. Word is jap bikes are next behind the KTM's on Olympia's mailing list.

Back on topic.

KLX250s is a really fun bike, especially off road. Good suspension, weight and power with typical re-jet, de-smog and exhaust.
It's a bit squirrly on pavement. I think the tall height and low weight just make it tough to fight crosswinds and passing trucks.
That said a Bill Blue 351cc kit is supposedly the ticket to one heck of a ride on these. Mine just had the typical mods so I can't comment on the 351cc.

DRZ400s/sm. Ohh the DRZ.

I bought a new one back in 2007. 5 bikes and 3 years later I just went back and picked up another DRZ440sm on xmas eve. (440 is a big bore kit)
Yes any 650cc is faster, yes KTM's have a magic clutch and plush suspension, yes the WR250r has a 6th gear that floats down the highway at 70 mph.
DRZ has a heavy steel frame, steel tank, it's carburated, only has 5 speed trans, vulnerable radiators, moderate 30hp, limited suspension and dated styling.

But, there's just something about it I like. It's like wearing my old logging boots and hiking up to my secret fishing lake.
Just fits really well and I never worry about it. I've run out of gas by just enjoying the ride and not thinking about my bike at all.
(Saved by 2x MSR 33oz fuel bottles!)

There are better off road bikes and there are better on roads bikes. Cost vs. capability is always a balancing act.

I've gone full circle with exotics, large discplacements, lightweight kick start rockets and ended up back on the DRZ and happy I did.
Of course the 440 big bore kit, hotcams and 39FCR carb contribute to that happiness but it is what it is, just another DRZ. I like it though.

Back to top Go down
Janet White

Bike : KLX 250

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 10:07 am

If you will be riding trails, lighter weight is better. It takes lots muscle to wrench those big bikes around tighter trails.

In our dirt bike club (PANTRA.org) most have lighter bikes, lots of 2 strokes which are lightweight for the power. Of course 2 strokes aren't good for dualsporting.

Tighter suspension of the KLX250 and good braking make it a trail friendly bike. I haven't been out on the highway with it, but ride it in town.

Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 11:15 am

PeteN95 wrote:
Lewiss wrote:
Has anybody taken the steps to make a XR650R street legal in Washington State? It seems that manufactures are make more dual purpose bikes dirt friendly, but for the ones that would prefer a plated dirt bike, I would be curious on what steps one needs to take to legalize a dirt bike (i.e. WR450, XR650R, ets). Has anyone had success???

It can only be done if the bike has never been licensed as an ORV in WA. It also must come from out of state with a plate on it.

when I got my 01 XR250R it had ORV stickers and a plate... and the golden 8th digit. as long as the 8th diigit is good it is plateable in certain ways.

first you need to know how much you can spend. if you have tons of cash get a KTM EXC or Christini version hands down. they might be complicated maintenence needing machines but they are worth it

if not... do you want a lightweight bike or a big fast(red) pig?

lightweight- XR250R.

midweight- XR400R or WR426/400 or WR250 factory legal (inspectors bike) or TW200

heavy - XR650R or XR600R or DRZ400 or DR650

getting the plated versions of the R bikes is hard but patience and constant craigslist checking will get you a good one. check the 8th vin digit too, no 3 or C. there is a gorgeous plated XR400R onn craigslist for$ 2300 that is a steal right now... if I had money I would buy it in a heartbeat.

KLR650s and XR650Ls are behemoths that wont be fun on trails, or when you break and have to push them 20 miles. XR600R is the ideal heavy bike I think as its air cooled and proven as a baja winner. DRZ400 is a heavyweight. excellent bike that is built like a tank, but its heavy for being a 400.

I ride a XR250R and I only want to add an XR400R or 600R as a 2-up bike. my 250 is plenty on trails and highway. I ride the freeway all the time. long distance it gets tired at 60mph, but it makes up for it on the trail. I can pick the whole bike up myself on flat ground. if you have more money the new wr250 that Inspector has is a great bike, better on the highway.

Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 3:12 pm

I forgot husky! they make some sweet dual sport bikes. I don't know enough to recommend them over the other bikes though... but the guys I know that have them love em
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!   Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Dual Sport Bike I can buy, I need your help!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2